Sunday 17 April 2022

Meeting the Easter Bunny

 It was another lovely sunny Spring day here so I decided to get an early walk in and set out to town at 9 a.m.  I am very much a morning person - that's when I have most energy and that's when my asthma medication is highest, as I take the first dose after getting up.  I had decided to explore a bridleway which skirts Llanelwedd Quarry.


Looking back towards the town at the start of my walk and below, early Bluebells.



The path meandered through the woods, loud with birdsong.  I had the route to myself as it was early.


Another walk is planned to the top of Garth Hill, marked with a Trig Point.


This is the old quarry, now abandoned to wildlife.  There was a warning sign to keep out because of a very deep pool.  Another benefit for wildlife.


All the wild cherries are in flower now.  They are also known as Geans.  If you can beat the birds to them, the fruits are edible and used to be used to flavour drinks such as brandy and whisky.  This wild tree is the parent plant to cultivated cherry trees.

These were growing by the roundabout, where I crossed from one section of my walk to the next, back home along the disused railway line.



First Cowslips and below, first Comma butterfly (possibly over-wintered).  This is the time of year for "firsts" - I saw my first Swallow yesterday too, and that absolutely made my day.  They bring me much joy.



Fishermen enjoying their sport in the River Wye.  The season started last month.


Lords and Ladies - Wild Arum Lilies.


St Matthew's Church was basking in the sunshine.


Looking back towards the town across the water meadows.


Just as I was nearing Jewsons, this rabbit was happily sunbathing on the path.  I managed to get his photo before he noticed me.

It was about a 3 mile walk and very enjoyable.  I have been gardening since I got home, but after 4 hours my body was saying "enough".  The past couple of days I've been doing 3 hours a day clearing weeds on the Bank.  Today I was by the big tree stump near the pond, clearing that awful old membrane with its covering of grass/roots/weeds - it takes some removing.  Two roses going in over there soon.


Happy Easter everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Busy, busy Bovey Belle!
    The rabbit picture is a gem.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to catch up on garden jobs that should have been done last year. Ican see why I put them off now!!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely walk, so many beautiful blooms.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wales is so beautiful at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Your country walks are a vicarious delight. Although we live in a rural area one is taking one's life in hand merely to drive on the winding back roads, let alone dare to walk. No verges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy my walks. We are very fortunate here, BUT the local walks are all pretty hilly - at Ynyswen we had hills, but flat bits too - a lot more of them!

      Delete