Saturday 2 April 2022

Kilvert - a love lost (more from Llanigon church and environs)

 



From the walls of Llanigon Church - there were two others as well.



If you have read Kilvert's Diaries you will know that the poor man fell hook, line and sinker for "Daisy" (known as Fanny in her family), one of the daughters of the Rev. Thomas, Llanthomas, who had the living here.  Unfortunately, when he declared his love for her to her father, he was found wanting - apparently both in social status and lineage as well as in prospects - and was easily bullied:

"As I crossed the bridge over the Digedi, I wondered with what feelings I should cross the bridge an hour later.  The whole family at home came into the drawing room to see me and I was wondering how I could get Mr Thomas away for a private talk, when he said suddenly, 'Come out into the garden .'  Daisy came into the room.  I thought she coloured and looked conscious.  I delivered up to her the basket she had lent me to take the grapes in to Alice Davies and gave her Alice's message of thanks.  Then we went out into the garden, her father and I.  I said, 'You will be very much surprised but I hope not displeased at what I am going to say to you.'  'What is it?' he said eagerly, 'have you got the living of Glasbury?'  'No, something much nearer to you than that.'  'What is it?'  I was silent a minute.  I was frightfully nervous.  'I-am-attached-to-one-of-your-daughters,' I said.

        Just as I made this avowal we came suddenly round a corner upon a gardener cutting a hedge.  I feared he had heard my confession, but I was much relieved by being assured that he was deaf.  Mr Thomas said I had done quite right in coming to him, though he seemed a great deal taken aback.

        He said also a great many complimentary things about my 'honourable high-minded conduct,' asked what my prospects were and shook his head over them.  He could not allow an engagement under the circumstances, he said, and I must not destroy his daughter's peace of mind by speaking to her or showing her in any way that I was attached to her.

    The course of true love never does run smooth.  What has happened only makes me long for her more and cling more closely to her, and feel more determined to win her.

        On this day when I proposed for the girl who will I trust one day be my wife I had only one sovereign in the world, and I owed that."

        This conversation was followed up by a letter from the Rev. Thomas, asking Kilvert NOT to pursue the matter any further.  Nor did he, even when he finally got a living of his own, although St Harmon's had no house for the curate and he had to lodge. Daisy never married, yet she was only 34 when her father died in 1886.  Of course, by then, Kilvert himself was dead too.

Below: Fanny's ("Daisy's") memorial. She died December 18th 1928 aged 76.

The Rev. William Jones Thomas had a very fruitful marriage and his poor wife Annie Elizabeth was little more than a brood mare, producing 6 sons and 5 daughters down the years, and indeed most of these are buried in Llanigon churchyard.  None of the daughters married, or perhaps that should read, were allowed to marry.

In John Toman's "Kilvert The Homeless Heart", he mentions that the same fate was also meted out to a further two of Daisy's sisters.  Morgan, curate of nearby Glasbury, sought to marry Charlotte, but was considered "socially below par".  Their sister Grace must have been very much in love with her suitor as once again, he was dismissed by her father and apparently she had a break-down, being sent to a private asylum, where she may have died.  She is not buried in the churchyard at Llanigon.  

Memorial to Mary Elizabeth, the eldest daughter. She died at Llanthomas June 1st 1886, aged 42.




A further side of Daisy's memorial is to her elder sister Edith Burnham Thomas, who died December 12th 1920 aged 71.

In Toman's book, he has turned to extracts from The Kilvert Society newletter, where a housekeeper there in 1920s told of the luxuriousness of the house, the sumptuous meals and the many servants, and how its occupants lived in style.  It was said that Thomas used his daughters' dowries to "pay for substantial additions he made to Llanthomas". To no avail, since it was demolished in 1949.  



Finally, and no relation whatsoever, near the gate was this sad little memorial to William Jenkins, of Trebarried, who was only 5 years old when he died.


        The snow has all gone now but it is still chilly out there, but sunny.  Have a good weekend all.





12 comments:

  1. I have seen prayer plaques like that in a lot of churches, no doubt they were mass produced in Victorian times for the churches. I'm impressed with how you have researched some of the people for Kilvert's book and they fact you quoted a whole passage from it but I really cannot like the guy. Mind you he must have been fit to have walked all over the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's horses for courses with Kilvert - men seem not to like him where as women do. I loved the way he wrote, and the people he met, and the places he mentioned, which I try to visit myself. He was extremely fit - 25 or 30 miles seemed nothing to him. WW1 poet Edward Thomas was the same.

      I am sure that those prayer placques were mass-produced but they have a good period look to them.

      Delete
  2. Poor old Kilvert. He was hapless but likeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and lived far too short a life. He was much-loved by his parishioners.

      Delete
  3. Super post and photos. Very informative too and thanks for full title of book in response to my comment :) Kilvert was such an interesting person and I love the way he writes as though he is talking to you in person - he has quite a "modern" style I think. So sad about Daisy and of course the fact that he died so very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it RR. I can see I am leading you astray with the book-buying! I just wish the other diaries weren't destroyed, but I dare say a proportion of them dealt with his parishional duties.

      Delete
  4. Why on earth would he not allow his daughters to marry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE married for money, but sounds to have been tight-fisted and as he had 5 daughters, didn't want to give them suitable dowries (or any, come to that).

      Delete
  5. What a wretched man the father was and greedy to boot. It is a shame the suitors for the daughters were not more strong minded but then, as of now, money talked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't sound a very nice character I have to agree. I think the suitors really didn't have much of a leg to stand on - if you had no lineage and no fortune - no daughter! I suspect that rumours reached Kilvert which is why he didn't try again.

      Delete
  6. That is one thing that struck me again and again, while hearing the old stories of your country: the women really had no power or say so over their own lives back in those early days. I would not have fit well into that time frame, I suppose. I found myself wondering if things would have been different if Annie the mother had lived longer. I assumed that she had died young after giving birth to 11 children. I was surprised to see that she died only two years before her husband. I read that he married for money. What she must have thought of his treatment of his daughters... What an odious man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until they had their own autonomy because of being widowed (and relatively well off). Poorer widows just had their own freedom, controlled by how poor they were. My husband's grandmother was widowed in WW1, with 4 children (one very young) and had to earn her living by paying a pittance (all she could manage) to a neighbour to look after the children whilst she worked a 12 hour day in a laundry. Towards payday their evening meal might just be "kettle broth", boiling water in poured over a piece of bread and seasoned with salt and pepper. "Daisy's" father sounds to have been a very controlling person, and so I am sure his poor wife had no say in the matter, everything she had brought to the marriage was then HIS! You can just imagine them pouring their hearts out to her yet she was unable to help them.

      Delete