Wednesday 27 April 2022

The amazing font at Castle Frome church, Herefordshire

 


This church was easy to find - I just left Ledbury on the Bromyard road, and then found the turning for it.  A quiet spot and once there was a nearby wooden motte and bailey castle on the high ground east of the church  and which was also the site of a Roman Camp (evidenced by the Hellebore still growing here - a plant always found at Roman sites because it was used as a purgitive.)  Bishop's Frome and Canon Frome villages got their names from being administered by the Canons of Llantony Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries.  In the Domesday Book, Castle Frome was Brismerfrum. (Many thanks to the little potted history of Castle Frome which I bought in the church for 50p.)


My photographs cannot even begin to match this superb one from the cover of Malcolm Thurlby's book "The Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture".  


The church is very simple in layout and the font is at the back - you get a view of the nave and chancel here.


Two Eagles representing St John, and below, an amazing survival, the rough sculpture for it.



The vast font is supported by three figures in ribbed (quilted?) clothing.  Two are now sadly missing their heads.  The remaining one reminded me of a tortoise and its shell!  This is a similar design to that used in Wurtemberg, Germany.


A close-up of the face with the curly hair and beard and slightly bulging eyes, similar to designs at Kilpeck.


The Ox of St. Luke.


The Angel of St Matthew.

What I missed taking a photograph of is the baptism of Christ with a large footed John the Baptist and the widening ripples of a big pool of water.  It was rather dark in there though.  Must do my homework before I go to the next church.  I missed some interesting bits in the church at Ledbury too.  Slapped wrist!


This tomb is of the Unett family, and dates to 1656.  They were related by marriage through Elizabeth Clodeshalle (subsequently Deveraux) whose family had been granted the lordship of Castle Frome by Gilbert de Lacy in 1341. You can just see traces of the original paintwork.



This was the only wall memorial.  Also to members of the Unett family.


This church had a very comforting atmosphere.  I sat down for a while to think of what was happening in reality in my life right now, and my eyes filled with tears. Worry rather than self-pity.

This week I booked Keith in at the GP's again and we discussed the way forward - with worryingly-long waiting lists to see Consultants, we have decided on an initial private appointment with a Neurologist to try and get a proper assessment (although I think use it or lose it is to blame to some degree).  I realize we are very fortunate to be in a position to do this but it is only because we have a small nest egg from selling our last home, otherwise we would be at the bottom of the queue.  So, we shall see.

I have a very busy weekend ahead with a 3 day Fair - first day setting up but we can't leave until 7 p.m. when they lock the doors.  Then 6.30 Saturday and we can't start packing up until 5 on the Sunday.  Fortunately Tam is doing it with me as Keith hasn't the stamina right now.  I will be worrying about him at home all the time I am away, in case he should have a fall.  Friday night's meal will be courtesy of the Chippy  . . .  Worried about the Fair on all sorts of levels but I am sure it will work out OK, and we shall be wearing masks as so many people from across the country go there to buy and sell.


On a positive note, I have cleared the area where a veg bed of sorts was - the wooden edging was surrounded by about 20 years of ivy growth in a continuous loop and took some clearing.  I have gone back to the edge of the hedge now but still need to clear behind the stump, which will have a Clematis planted by it to grow over.  I have a couple in pots which haven't thrived so will put them in later.

The gardener came yesterday to cut the lawn.  I asked him to cut down the flowering cherry tree because it had obviously got long past its best - about half a dozen bits of bloom.  Being on a dry bank with its roots in rubble has done it no favours.  The Pieris will have more room now.  I was expecting the lawn to be done in an hour especially as he has a petrol mower.  It all went quiet out there and I found him cutting all the borders (ok they needed it) with edging shears.  At the end of 3 hours (!) he said that the quickest bit was cutting the lawn.  Well, yes, that was what I had wanted him to do.  The rest I could manage in my own time.  I'm afraid I will have to do it all myself in future as his fitness levels are lower than mine and it took him 3 hours to dig over quite a small area last time! 

Have a good weekend all.

20 comments:

  1. What an amazing object. I wish you all the best with your worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I'm sure it will be ok and at least the medical wheels are in motion now.

      Delete
  2. Wow another wonderful church Jennie. They truly loved their carving in that area. Good luck at the next fair and keep strong about Keith's health. Exploring every avenue, even through private health can only be for the good. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a map and hopefully I can put a few ticks on it soon! Keith is walking better today. That is a positive anyway. He's even been out to his workshop in the end stable, and I now have a pile of Fings to Sell which he no longer wants - lovely old Georgian brass and ceramic castors, hinges etc.

      Delete
  3. When I went I couldn't believe that font - in fact I still can't it was just amazing. Must get to Eardisley soon to see that one!! Its a lovely and peaceful church and I also liked the Unett tomb. Carvings of the figures were very good. I am sorry about Keith and I hope you can see someone soon who can help. I hope the fair goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eardisley is next on my list RR. Some time next week I hope. Today is going to be spent pricing things up and getting sorted and packed for the Fair. I had forgotten quite how tiring they are. Keith was actually much more chipper yesterday, and came out to his workshop and directed what could be sold as he wouldn't be using it any more.

      Delete
  4. A friend and I were discussing the difficulties of keeping our flower gardens tidy as the arthritics of advancing age interfere with the work. She mentioned that while she does have the funds to hire a 'gardener' [I don't!] she didn't feel there was anyone available who would do things the way she wanted. Most frustrating is the fact that one can weed and prune and it is all do over within a week or two!
    I hope that Keith can find help with the various issues that are besetting him--and you by extension. I do think its true that once someone is semi sedentary, for whatever reason--it is terribly hard to build up strength again.
    As always I am intrigued--and envious--of the places you can explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this gardener has more than shown he is taking the proverbial, but working as slowly as he can to get more money doesn't cut the mustard with me. He's out on his ear. When it took him 4 hours to dig over a patch of ground about 4 feet by 3 feet I had my doubts - plus he dug out 3 small raspberries which had MARKERS and they got chucked with the grass sods. Not the world's brightest!

      Keith was more mobile yesterday - perhaps I have finally got through that he can't just sit about waiting to get better! He has spent 3 months feeling fatigued but waiting day by day for the Thyroxine to kick in and it hasn't. At least I've gotten most of the weight back on him that he lost.

      I am very fortunate living here - such wonderful scenery and great places to go.

      Delete
  5. A lovely church with an amazing font. It reminded me of Terry Pratchet’s books. Hope Keith’s visit with a consultant proves fruitful, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello SueJay - it was a very peaceful church and that font just blew my mind. The thought of all the work going into it - must have taken months. The Consultant appt. will either show something up or indicate that he needs to push through the fatigue.

      Delete
  6. The font looks Saxon and is Cleary been looked after to still have most of it's features I like how the tomb still has paint on it, makes you wonder what it looked like originally. Very nice church to visit. We put in a new flowerbed over Easter but now all of us have been coming down in turn with some nasty cold virus my son brought home from working away. We think we are invincible than illness show we are not. I wish Keith well and hope he comes through it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 12th C. That tomb has more paint than I have seen on any other. It must have been quite eye-catching when first built. So sorry that you have all had a nasty cold. Colds don't seem to be "a bit of a" any more but real blighters! Will keep you posted on Keith.

      Delete
  7. I understand how worrisome Keith's situation must be for you. Know that I send my best thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in danger of becoming a Nag! Drink more water, eat more food, do this, don't do that! Poor man . . . All done from love though. Thanks for your kind thoughts Debby.

      Delete
  8. Wow the font is stunning and has survived really well. Hope things work out in the medical area, and also the fair. Is it the Three Counties Show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tink. It is an amazing survivor, when you think of what happened to so many churches in Victorian times (although the neglect many suffered beforehand caused the huge rebuilding everywhere). The Fair is on Builth showground - couldn't be much nearer! We will wait and see with the medical side of things.

      Delete
  9. Oops! It can be difficult establishing boundaries with casual tradesmen. We've just had the opposite problem. A very kind man came and replaced hinges on a gate that was sagging, and repaired in at the same time. Then wouldn't take payment. He said it was what he did after work, and he liked to do it as a community service. We contacted him again, to do another couple of things we could not manage, and made it very clear we wanted to pay him, but again he slipped away quietly before we realised. Finally I got him to give me an address so we could pay him - without which we could not have ever asked him again! And there are little jobs we have neither the skills, nor the tools, to do ourselves, and we are so grateful to find someone who can come.

    I hope your consultation with the Neurologist is helpful, and gives you a clear path forward. Worrying "in the dark" is so stressful. Getting old is a 'bugger" isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the gardener to the last owner. However, he is trying it on with me and he has failed. Yes, the garden did need edging, but I didn't ask him to do that - I asked him to mow the lawn. I shall look on that bit as an investment as I shall be able to keep on top of it now. Could do with your handyman round here. The one who used to do all the work here clearly doesn't want to be involved with us now as he told us there was a 6 mth waiting list. We only wanted the UV filter changed - a 5 minute job, but we can't manage the stopcock.

      You're right, it's being in the dark which is so worrying. Not knowing what is at the bottom of this as a couple of different things seem to be going on. Old age never comes alone, my late ma-in-law used to say. How right she was.

      Delete
  10. what a beautiful font, another for the list.

    ReplyDelete