Wednesday 13 April 2022

Shobdon Arches



Before I forget the post about Shobdon Arches, here we go.  There were lovely views across the Herefordshire countryside by the Arches, but that position is their downfall as all the Welsh weather tears across and weathers them.  I would have thought a weatherbreak to the West of them might have been sensible but obviously they weren't valued - just thought of as a curiosity, and the font not even that.


The original church must have been quite something, and one wonders about the facades which were totally destroyed and any fascinating "Kilpeckian" carvings used as a spiritual warning to those who were illiterate (probably rubble beneath the current church).


Above and below - one of the Tympanums, incredibly weathered now so that only the leftmost figure is recognizable as such. This would have been the Harrowing of Hell. The central figure was Christ thrusting his staff into the mouth of the Devil, whilst his left hand pulls Adam from hell.  The two other figures are women, the taller of the two probably being Eve.  The bearded figure is probably St John the Baptist.






SUCH a shame that such amazing craftsmanship  has been destroyed.  Such a superb example of the work of the Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture did NOT deserve such treatment.






Above and below, the other Tympanum which shows Christ enthroned, His right hand raised in blessing and the other clasping a closed book.  He is surrounded by a huge beaded mandorla which in turn is held by four elongated Angels.  There are two theories about this - one is that it is Christ's Ascension into Heaven (whereby it balances the Harrowing of Hell Tympanum), or alternatively Christ in Majesty.  There is much similarity between this and a capital in Hereford cathedral in that the Christ figure is seated in the same stance.



This is a plaster cast of the right arch and tympanum at Shobdon, and thank heavens it was recorded.  However, this was lost in 1936 when the Crystal Palace, where it was presumably on display, was burned down. 








Historically Hugh  de Mortimer, who held this land, chose "a wise, prudent and conscientious man named Oliver de Merlimond, and made him chief steward of all his land and manager of all his property."  He gave Oliver the vill of Shobdon on his appointment, where there was only a humble chapel made of wood.  The new steward was very keen to have a new church built to replace it.  However, he was set upon making a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella and entrusted a Knight, Bernard, to oversee the work, although the actual construction did not begin until Oliver's return.  This would have been around the mid-1140s.  His journey home through France via Paris took him through Poitou and Saintonge where doorways are commonly carved with radiating wedge-shaped stones (voussoirs) which obviously influenced designs at Shobdon.


My wonderful birthday book.  I foresee LOTS more journeys to remote Welsh churches.  Below one of the two pans which were a really super-duper pressie.  They are much lighter than the Le Creuset ones I have.  I struggle to hold the largest one and spoon out the contents (since falling over Little Whale and permanently damaging my thumb ligament).

Today I am grateful for it feeling warmer (and a good Easter weekend in prospect with sunshine).

For doing "just 3 minutes' " weeding up on the Bank extending rather and some chunks of grass being rehomed.

Finding my young deep purple Magnolia beneath large clumps of grass!

Having a visit from friend P, with some home-baking as a Birthday gift.

Hearing that Swallows have arrived at the stables of someone I know in Herefordshire.

Being asked by some crafting friends to meet up at Wonderwool on the Showground here later this month.

From somewhere finding a Determination I had quite forgotten I ever had to help me  NOT snack between meals or reach for Comfort Food (that has been essential for mental support in recent months).

Getting Keith an appt. with the GP and further tests being pursued.  Plus whilst he was having his bloods done, seeing a Long Tailed Tit on a branch outside, and then a couple of times it landed right on the window frame.


14 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday greetings I have only just caught up with some of the blogs I follow. I did read about the arches but I only had the time to visit the church. I wish I had spent a bit more time and gone to see the arches. I have to agree it is such a shame they are left like that out of the way and not on display for people to see. They are quiet something. I have come across a couple of
    tympanum's in good condition in Oxfordshire but they are far and few between. The craftsmanship that has gone into those arches should be looked after not forgotten.
    That book looks interesting.
    Off to make a new flower bed now

    ReplyDelete
  2. That panoramic view, is just breath taking. Gorgeous. I enlarged and scanned the far away hill top, and wondered about the buildings there? Anything is possible in your land. They could be ancient! I love this church. Still gorgeous as it sinks into ruin.

    I love your gratitudes. Did I ever tell you that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it? I enlarged the photo and think it's a farm and outbuildings (if we're looking at the same thing that is!) Glad you like the Shobdon church remnants.

      I need to do the gratitudes regularly - they do make you feel better - even when it's just the smallest things which bring happiness to a day. Many thanks to Sue over on The Cottage at the End of a Lane who does them regularly and gives inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Billy. I saw another stone Temple? type building in the distance, but didn't have time to explore that. Another time. You need to have some inkling about the Herefordshire school of sculpture to understand what has been lost, but a visit to Kilpeck, below Hereford will soon put you right (as will elements of Hereford Cathedral and Leominster Priory).

    Book is brilliant - I have a long list of days out planned now!

    Enjoy your flower bed creation. I have a similar job here, but it means moving wooden collars (for veg) which currently house masses of Primroses and various flowering herbs which the bee love. They'll go to the edge of the orchard/path and I have roses to go in their place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear. Time to stop counting now I think!

      Delete
  5. What beautiful arches and you have such amazing walks.. I don't cope well with country walks I need firm ground so its lovely to see photos in blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still manage rough ground, but steep hills do me no favours! I need to be two stone lighter . . . Glad you enjoyed the photos anyway.

      Delete
  6. The Shobdon Arches are amazing although as you say tragic that more steps were not taken to preserve them. Hopefully, I will visit them one day even if I go on my own!!! Thanks for the photos and have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your husband likes country walks, there are some amazing walks on this estate, to keep him quiet whilst you're in your element around the church and the arches.

      Delete
  7. Belated happy birthday. What a gorgeous pot.

    Love those arches. When we were in the UK we did not spend much time in Wales and I really regret that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while before I use it - until I have the new kitchen fitted I've no room to store this or the frying-type pan so will have to keep them in their boxes.

      What a shame you didn't see much of Wales. You'll have to visit again!

      Delete
  8. It is sad that all that's left is drawings. Even the weathered stones are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Although if you go to Kilpeck you will see what has been lost as the sculpture there is perfect and a lot of it similar to Shobdon (same Hereford Romanesque School of Sculpture).

      Delete