Sunday 18 September 2022

Aboriginal Art Exhibition

 









As you can see, lots of different styles (and prices!).  Keith was quite taken with the Exhibition, but then he likes colourful things. I was a bit more ambivalent. It was on show at the Sidney Nolan Trust, just outside of Presteigne.  Keith walked around inside the huge barn housing the paintings, and also around the lovely old house where they served tea, coffee and cake.  Sadly, he is paying the price now because his neck is very sore.


Rodd Court, which is Grade II* listed and was the home of Sidney Nolan and his wife.  It is now partly gallery on the ground floor, and the old kitchen is where you can have refreshments.


The door of the main entrance.


"Chit" - to discover an art form in chitting potatoes . . .
A bit ephemeral as an art form perhaps. . .


A large pile of Hogweed heads was nice but not really practical.  Lovely Delft tiles around the fireplace.


The bits of trees are apparently art forms too.  I prefer the tree made into a fireplace, personally.


I assume this was one of Sidney Nolan's paintings of the Outback.


I automatically thought, ah, a bit more of the Kington elephant, but no, it's a skull which Sidney Nolan brought back from Australia.



This is quite nice - rather Impressionist.

I slept very badly last night, and Keith and I are both tired as we went over the mountains (or through them really) to see Tam and Jon.  It made a nice change and we saw where Jon is working and got some bits and pieces from there (Charity Shop warehouse). Keith was really struggling to walk though, having done too much the previous day. It is such a worry to see him like that.

Today Danny is coming to help with the garden.  It desperately needs it and I have lost all interest recently.  I will have to try harder today and tomorrow.

I am low as Theo is really having to be tempted to eat now, and I can't help thinking it is soon going to be a one-way trip to the vet with him. It's put me in a low spot though. Just checking which farm it is to go and see the kittens - don't want to turn up at the wrong one.

I will do replies to personals later on.  Housework calls now.

9 comments:

  1. I do like the aboriginal art. I used to favor softer colors, but as I've aged my tastes have expanded to include more variety (I've found this to include food as well). I hope the effect of the walk doesn't last too long for Keith and he feels better soon. I'm also sorry Theo isn't well. Is he old? Do bring a kitten home! A little bundle of joy to add to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some colourful pieces here. Not my taste really, but interesting to see. Keith is a bit up and down, a lot depending on how much water he's drunk and how mobile in the house.

      Theo is about 12. Going to see the kittens on Wednesday but the ginger one isn't solid ginger and is poorly at the moment with an eye infection.

      Delete
  2. I don't know how you feel about the art, but I would not even give it hanging space nor he so called sculptures there. My son has just got his BA in illustration and could put a far better show on than that and my wife could as well. I really wonder how they think they are artists

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy - me neither! I like my art to be representational and my favourite is Pre-Raphaelite for the stunning detail and also Impressionism, which my dad loved and painted copies of various pictures.

      Well done to your son - I feel you are more than qualified to comment on what was on show there!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the Aboriginal art. It takes an awful lot of work with all those individual dots building up the pattern. I understand exactly what Keith is going through. I am the same. You feel good one day and so you do a little bit too much. While you might not pay for it the next day, you certainly pay for it the day after. So sorry, Theo's under par. again. I know how difficult it is for you. What will be, will be. If only you could find what food will tempt him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see some of your recent style in those pieces - your work wouldn't have looked amiss.

      Sorry to hear that you are up and down as Keith is. Getting the balance of medication right is so difficult. (Plus K is a stubborn bu**ar and getting him to do exercises is problematical, as only he knows how bad his neck is etc.)

      Delete
  5. That was some interesting art...and some interesting stuff that I wouldn't have thought to view as art. The building also looked very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tactfully put. I am in agreement but wasn't quite so tactful in the comfort of my own home! The building was wonderful.

      Delete