Wednesday 7 September 2022

Back to the Neolithic near Bredwardine

Ragged Robin will already know what I'm about to write about, and I hope will enjoy revisiting a very special place.


I could see the weather coming in across the Golden Valley so nipped out of the car quickly to take a few photos of Arthur's Stone, above the Golden Valley.  There was a holidaying couple there (from East Anglia) with their two dogs.  They were staying in Dorstone and doing a circular walk, and were surprised there was more to Arthur's Stone than a single menhir.  They quickly donned waterproofs but I should imagine they got pretty wet walking back as it rained heavily and steadily between there and Hay-on-Wye.



Arthur's Stone is an outlying example of the Severn-Cotswold type of Neolithic burial chamber, with a passage approaching from the rear and a South-facing forecourt at the other end.   It is aligned north-south and would originally have extended some 25 metres but a small lane now dissects the burial mound - which would have originally been covered in soil. 




There has been a rarely-allowed Archaeological Dig here this summer, with Prof. Julian Thomas of Manchester University in charge.  You can just see one of the trenches now covered over with membrane to let the grass return.  HERE is a link to what they discovered, quite exciting too, as this was part of a larger ritual landscape and in a nearby field to the south is an earlier phase in the construction of this monument, making it a lot more substantial. There has been no evidence of burials at this site although human remains have been found at other similar burial chambers, but that said, this has never been excavated beneath the capstones and inside the actual burial chamber.


Along this ridge, flint scatters (19 of them), two hand axes, a standing stone and two long barrows have been found along this area, showing how much it was used in the Neolithic period. Doubtless there is much more which has yet to be discovered.


the waymarking.com site gives ley line information: "Several ley lines go through Arthur's Stone,  Eardisley castle moat to Snodhill castle, The Knapp to Dorstone church, Newton tump to Bodcott barn.  Red lay to Cefn Hill (50deg. E of true North) is a midsummers day sunrise ley.  Each line has several marking points, old buildings, other mounds etc."  Make of this what you will but Paul Devereaux puts them in a more modern context.




The capstone is calculated to weigh more than 25 tons.

The position of this monument in the landscape was so that it would be seen by not just the people whose ancestors were in all probability buried here (it has never been excavated internally), and who brought their flocks up from the valley bottom for transhumance grazing, but also by any strangers who might pass by. "Folk from Off" as Phil Rickman is wont to call them.  By burying your dead here, you are staking claim to the land.

        We had intended just to have lunch here and then go on to Rowlstone Church near Pontrilas, but it is just as well we returned when we did as even this relatively short journey had made Keith very stiff and finding movement and balance difficult.  The medication only works to a degree and the "intensive physiotherapy" needed (as mentioned by the Herefordshire consultant we also saw) is just the occasional exercise to carry out each time we see the Physio. I have found lots more on line, which we are doing.

    I am feeling down tonight, what with the worry over Keith's progress and Theo not being back to his old self.  Though he is eating better, we don't yet have the old Theo chirrups to show that he is back to normal. Let's hope a night's sleep settles my pessimism.

15 comments:

  1. I do hope you feel a bit better today and got a good night's sleep.

    What a super post and one I must show my son and thank you for the link which I will read in a minute. I think I read about the dig there possibly in an English Heritage magazine. I haven't yet visited as am waiting to take my son as well so it was extra lovely to see all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you BB. Things will get better. In the meantime what nicer way to soothe your soul than visiting and writing about Arthur’s Stone. Thank you for this interesting post. I think lots of us are feeling at sixes and sevens but I am hoping that once we see the Full Moon on the 9th we will start to settle down. I try and do something good for me and that I enjoy every day. My treat today is a hair cut - just hope it isn’t pouring with rain. My drive to the hairdressers takes me over Greatham bridge (pronounced Gritham) which spans the river Arun. It has been a crossing point since before Roman times, the ‘gritty’ river bed meant that the Romans could wade across at low tide. After my hair cut I will pop into Stable Antiques for a quick browse, then I will go to Parham to buy a bag or two of apples from their walled orchard. On the way home I will pass and stop at Dykes Farm shop and our village shop for any shopping we need. Anything to avoid supermarkets and to spend my shopping pound in the best possible way. Last night’s supper was cheese and chive omelette with pink fir apple potatoes followed by rhubarb and yogurt. Would Keith eat a simple and plain supper like this? It is a lot of extra work for you to cook different meals. My husband’s default food when I first knew him in the mid-80s was a pork chop or steak. I have never in my life eaten or cooked either of these and nowadays he eats everything I put in front of him with relish. Tonight I think it will be garlic, yellow courgette and chard served on a bed of quinoa with a fresh lemon dressing and crumbled feta. My favourite sort of food which makes me feel well. Although I should add he eats the best cheese (Montgomery cheddar, Colston Bassett Stilton and Baron Bigod) for an evening snack accompanied by a glass of wine while he watches sport so please don’t think he is deprived. Also he always has homemade cake at teatime, crisps and wine as an aperitif and often a pork pie accompanies his lunchtime sandwiches so no shortage of calories! Take care BB, I am sending my love and support. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A more positive visit from the Physio yesterday, who could see improvement in Keith and gave him a couple more exercises to do - the one for his shoulders should start to free things up. I'm glad we got to Arthur's Stone this week - even though it was meant to be a stopping point on a longer day out, the rain ruined that plan! We still hope to get to Brockhampton on Saturday. Disabled access appears well thought out.

      It sounds very historic in your area. We've been watching a programme called River Hunters about a couple of Detectorists looking for historic remnants in rivers near battle sites or historic castles etc.

      Keith will eat omelette, but pass on the chives (he is NOT one for the onion family, amongst many other things!). He is such a fussy devil and will only eat the plainest fare. I prefer a bit more flavour! Sometimes we eat the same things but generally I have to make him something different - it was ever thus. Your meals sound lovely. I have gotten to the stage where I take no real pleasure in cooking any more - I guess it's the stress of worry about Keith. Even baking offers little pleasure any more.

      Delete
  3. Now that does seem an interesting place to visit, must remember it We have a similar place not far from us called Wayland Smithy. It's not far from a place you might have heard of called White Horse Hill. Not easy to park near I have to admit but there is an NT carpark at WHH

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been to Wayland's Smithy Billy. Intriguing site with a wonderful legend attached. Know the Uffington White Horse too. Been a few years since we were last there though. You're lucky to have it fairly close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so much to contend with at the moment
    Thoughts are with you
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Alison, sleep eludes me again. I now have a UTI and was up every half an hour on Wednesday night, and tonight I woke at 2.45 and after an hour and a half decided I might as well come downstairs.

      Delete
  6. Those rocks are beautiful, what a fascinating place. I understand completely what it's like for Keith, lets hope things will improve. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archaeology has always fascinated me since a child, so no wonder that was my choice for a degree, though at the time it was a toss-up between that and Eng. Lit.

      Delete
  7. These. Are. Amazing!!!! I guess that I knew about them, from reading Northsider's blog, but I love the pictures and the stories. Thank you.

    I am sorry that you're having such a struggle right now. I hope that there is someone to give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of virtual hugs Debby, from you and all my friends on here. Just having people comment cheers me up.

      There is much archaeology in this area but a lot of it fairly remote and hills and I are not the best of friends as I get older!

      Delete
  8. Worry will really get you down. I hope things improve. And, thank you for post about Arthur's stone. I will check out the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hart. Yes, worry is not a good companion, especially at night. Hoping the forecast is right for our day out tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. It is a difficult time at the moment Jennie, when things go pear-shaped. Theo will probably find his chirrup and Keith some of his mobility. As you know I am not a believer in leylines, stand with Deveraux on that one. Arthur's stone Neolithic barrow probably has a lot of secrets - that is the problem when you dig a small trench ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday's physio visit was much more positive. Theo is still eating though I have to keep ringing the changes and it's costing me a fortune in tiny expensive sachets of Extra Tempting cat food!

      I bet Julian Thomas wanted to do a total reveal at Arthur's Stone but it will be interesting to read up on what the site revealed in more detail. With you and Deveraux on leylines!

      Delete