Monday 12 September 2022

An afternoon out at Brockhampton - Part 1

 


A short epistle from me today as I am feeling rather low.  Keith's not at his best today which leads to extra worry.  We heard that we didn't get the funding we had hoped for - which was my gut instinct at the start, because we had savings.  2nd hand it is then.

Anyway, enjoy the first photos from Brockhampton.  A shame someone else bagsied the Mobility Scooter there before we arrived, so we couldn't go around the orchards.


Damsons - you could PYO if you liked, but I chose not to.





A beautiful carved oak Duodarn.  Would love this back at home.


Looking upstairs from the Great Hall.


Keith enjoyed the firearms.  Most of the ones fromCol. Lutley are now in Worcestor Regimental Museum though. A beautiful corner chair too, and a baby one beside it.

 
Keith was fascinated by this very rare spring gun, which was activated by a trip wire and would have been used to guard the property.  These were made illegal in1827 (sounds like they worked only too well!)




We loved the 17th C carving on this piece of vernacular furniture, which looks like a Bible Box on top of and part of a Low Boy table. I cannot think of a specific word which describes it.  Lovely though. The plain piece of oak in the centre is where a lock once was.


The Buttery, with (empty sadly!) casks of cider and on the shelf above, modern examples of Malvernware pottery, fragments of which have been found in the area.  Malvernware was made from 1300 onwards.









More tomorrow.  I have been foraging and have some crab apples and sloes to process.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely place to tour. I'd never heard of Perry. I hope a good used scooter turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perry is lovely. If you've ever heard of Babycham, that was a commercial Champagne Perry.

    We have our eye on a good used scooter of the sort we want, but someone else is going to see it tonight, so it may sell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the sloes in our front hedge today while I was admiring the colour combination of red hawthorn berries, purple knapweed and blue sloes - nature knows best! Tonight we ate the first corn on the cob - one each. They were planted out midsummer on the day I harvested the garlic and even though they are called “Swift” they haven’t been. I blame all those 30 plus degree days when everything stopped growing. To follow the corn I boiled some pink fir apple potatoes, made some tomato mush (split outdoor tomatoes cooked with a knob of butter and a teaspoon of sugar) and fried two eggs - one each. It was the nicest supper. Sorry to hear your woes BB, I am feeling very up and down too, but a new knitting project using John Arbon’s Devonia yarn in the colour Burnished Bronze is helping. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have them on the doorstep. None on our land here (but plenty of Holly!) Aren't homegrown veg wonderful - completely different to boughten stuff and SO incredibly fresh and toothsome. Your meal went down well, I'm sure. Keith had another lamb leg steak, veg and fried potatoes, and I gave myself a shake and made Cajun Dirty Rice - far too much of it!

      We had a very bad night here and Keith is paying the price of our outing on Saturday and couldn't get to the loo without my help. I don't think I'll be doing much today. I just looked up your wool - my Devon genepool says how lovely to knit using pure Devon yarn.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, you're both feeling under power, and hope that by the time you read this, you're both feeling more chipper. I know I get good days and bad days and it is worrying when you get the bad days. I think perry is quite possibly my favourite drink! And yes, I'd love a Babycham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even worse today after a really bad night for Keith. Hopefully we will be able to sleep a bit longer tonight. Definitely a bad couple of days for Keith - not drinking enough the PD nurse says . . . Fancy a Babycham myself now! It must be Christmas :)

      Delete
  5. Just reading your reply to someone else, I'm so sorry you had such a bad night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one we want to repeat in a hurry, that's for sure. After Keith had finally dropped off, I pulled the last-made quilt on my side of the bed, doubled up, and slept soundly until the alarm went, for me to get up to phone the GP.

      Delete
  6. I hope you can get a good used scooter for Keith, it will make a lot of difference for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night's one was sold, sadly, as it was just what we were looking for. Some others that might do but a bit far away ideally, or high prices. I don't want to compromise and then find the ideal one comes up next week!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see photos of the interior. Looks quieter than when went.So sorry about the funding. There is a new flower shaped orchard there I think which I haven't yet visited. Not quite sure exactly where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a visit towards the end of the season and on aweekday, when fewer people likely to be there.

      Delete
  8. You really make me jealous going around there, it looks steeped in historical things to see. I'll get there sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a detour Worcester way next time you come in perhaps? Well worth the detour.

      Delete
  9. I really am fascinated by the recipes and am off now to read about what herbs and spices are actually used to create mead. There is a winery in our area that makes it, but I never tried it.

    ReplyDelete