Friday 30 September 2022

Dore Abbey/Abbey Dore

 



My brain clearly wasn't with it on the day I visited the Golden Valley, as apart from forgetting to take my inhalers (Essential for normal life) I also drove past the turning which took you down to the car park for Abbey Dore, so I ended up parking in a little pull-in close to the other entrance to the church.  At least I got a good view of it from the slightly higher ground. I will have to go back to see the rest of the surrounding area, but Keith would like to visit too so we will wait for a dry (and hopefully sunny) day.


A beautiful entrance.  Upon reading the guide book, I see I missed the wolf-headed terminal on one of the interior hinges of this door.  The Abbey (now the Parish Church of Holy Trinity and St Mary), had its origins in the 7th/8th centuries, when wooden buildings were built on land belonging to the lordship of Ewyad Harold.  The church was surrounded by buildings, gardens and orchards, which served the early Abbey, and were inside an inner court and surrounded by an outer court.

In 1098 the Cistercian Order (a stricter branch of the Benedictines) sought to to the very austere lifestyle of St Benedict, wearing white habits of plain undyed wool to signify purity and also to distinguish them from the Benedictines.  Their mission in life was two-fold: to pray and to work.  It was a daughter house of one of five Cistercian mother houses, and as such Dore was the only one founded here from Morimond.  This was possibly because Robert, Lord of Ewyas, had met the Abbot of Morimond as a result of the Second Crusade and offered the Abbot land for his Abbey. Thus in 1147 the first Abbot (Adam) and his twelve devoted monks began their new life at Abbey Dore, starting with the construction of the Abbey in stone.  The name "Dore" probably derives from the Welsh word "dwr" which means water.  


This is a view of the Crossing and the North Transept beyond it.  You can see the Musicians' Gallery to the left.  The building you see now comprises the presbytery, crossing and transepts of the former Abbey.  "When its nave was still standing, the church was three times as long and the main entrance was through the lychgate near to the present-day farm."


A close of of some of the Medieval tiles.


Re-set fragments of Medieval glass.


The paintings and texts date between 1630-40 and 1700-10.





A Green Man survived the Dissolution, when Dore was sold on 1 March 1537 for the sum of £53, the principal buyer being John Scudamore.   Fortunately the nine monks and 16 servants inhabiting the Abbey at the time of its sale, saw fit to hide the roof bosses (which would otherwise have been destroyed).  These fascinating remains are to be seen within the present church.























Life here is going on as usual.  Gabby (middle daughter) came up yesterday and helped with jobs that I couldn't manage on my own.  Emptying the back guttering of large gobbets of moss from the roof (the hot summer dried it out and it slid down and blocked said gutters), then carrying the loungers up to overwinter in the polytunnel, and carrying a sack of rain-sodden compost across to fill a planter which we put my latest rose in.  This is gorgeous - a gift from my (4th?) cousin - we met via Ancestry I think - and this was the first time we met up. The rose has gold/red tinted buds and the flower ends up a blush pink and yellow centre.  Lovely.

We also changed our bed around so that Keith had the side nearest the door.  A bit of a palaver but it needed doing, though it felt strange to be on the opposite side last night and the memory foam must have the memory of Keith's outline as it felt strange to mine! We both slept deeply, having been awake since 4.15 and up early too as we couldn't get back to sleep.

I steeled myself to go and collect Theo's ashes and not break down in front of the entire waiting room.  There were tears, but I managed to hold most back and the receptionist was very sympathetic.  So now there is a little pine box with a brass nameplate on it on the window ledge in the Library, where he liked to sit and view the world.

Tam is here over the weekend, so that is something to look forward to now. Not sure if we'll get a walk in as I think gales are predicted.  It's been raining steadily for most of the day.

Have a lovely weekend all.


15 comments:

  1. What an interesting abbey. Love the carvings and so very glad they were saved.

    Theo is home and exactly where he would love to be.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to going back and having a proper look around, guide book in hand!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was very interesting, an I'm glad that the detailed carvings survived.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for such a good tour of the Abbey. The medieval tiles are so full of colour after so many years and I'm glad the bosses were saved all those years ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the booklet, I missed some other better-preserved tiles, so I shall look for those next time. I liked that the Abbot and monks sought to protect those bosses.

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting post. Lovely photos and such history. I always find you need to return to a church once you have read the guide book! Have to admit it is one on my list to visit!

    Theo is home with you now and back where he belongs but it must have been very distressing for you.

    Have a good weekend with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will love Dore Abbey and hopefully your husband will find something to interest him in the vicinity too.

      I won't go into details of Theo's passing, but the vet did not give us our full attention and was in the next room seeing a dog instead of staying with us.

      Tam and I had a lovely Nature Reserve walk this afternoon, so will put up photos soon.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely tour of the abbey.

    Yes, it's quite windy here today, more so than yesterday when the gales were forecast for us. And now we have the company of Ian to look forward to probably later in the week. Such fun.

    I confess I shed a little tear myself when you said where you have placed Theo's ashes. He will be with you always now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the wind has dropped with you today, It was a beautiful Autumnal afternoon here, quite warm.

      I was hit hard by the card from the vet's with the Forgetmenot seeds and his paw prints . . . Well meaning, and I will cherish it in time, but like a knife in the ribs right now. Thank you for your empathy but sorry the tears came.

      Delete
  6. I meant to say the other day how much I love your new header photo, haven't the spiders been busy over the past couple of weeks. Our Fig tree is a mass of webs, and long threads running off them over to the fence. I would love to see how a spider can get across a four foot span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy spiders indeed, some of them hell bent on living the life of riley INSIDE my house. The ones coming indoors here look like they've been training for a Marathon - gurt long legs in every direction! Doesn't the spider launch itself into the air whilst unrolling its silk, until it lands?

      Delete
  7. I loved the (what I think is) the thistle and holly leaf wood carving. I think you learn to live with the ashes of animals. It gives a sense of comfort knowing they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a superb place to visit, some really beautiful features to see and ponder over

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's a very emotional moment collecting the ashes of our much loved pets isn't it?
    I bought a lovely pinky red rose bush and our dear Archie's ashes are underneath. It has bloomed all summer long and somehow brings me a lot of comfort
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete