Thursday 22 September 2022

St. Faith's Church, Bacton and its link with Elizabeth I

 


I "ran away" yesterday morning.  I couldn't cope with the grief of Theo's passing and needed to just get out of the house.  Unfortunately, I was half way to Abbey Dore before it occurred to me that I hadn't taken my asthma inhalers.  I am on a very high dose, so really cannot manage without them for any length of time.  My breathing seemed OK, and I had my blue Ventolin inhaler for emergencies, so carried on.   I was fine at Abbey Dore (more of that in another post), so headed back to nearby Bacton Church, where there is a memorial, and I believe, the heart of, Blanche Parry, Gentlewoman of Queen Elizabeth I's bedchamber, and keeper of her jewels.  Her corporeal remains are buried at Westminster Abbey.  The Queen paid for her funeral.  She had been a good and faithful servant of the Queen for her entire life.


HERE are the details about the church.


A more unusual shape of memorial in the churchyard.


Inside the Porch.  Blanche Parry's generosity to the parish is recorded here.


The font is simple and could well date back to the 13th Century when the church was established (although probably there was an earlier church - a Yew Tree in the churchyard is about 1300 years old.)


Memorial to Alexander Stanton Esq and his wife Rachel Hopton, dated 1663.


Beautiful stained glass.



Remember the American tv programme from the 80s? - The Partridge family?  Here are members of the REAL Partridge family.  I believe one of them bred successful racehorses.


More beautiful glass which has a Pre-Raphaelite look about it.


Here is the most AMAZING piece of the past you are likely to see in many a long year - this Altar Cloth was made from a court dress of Queen Elizabeth I, and she wore it in The Rainbow painting of her.  Made from cloth of silver (and including gold threads too), it is exquisitely and painstakingly embroidered. Just SUCH a connection with our country's history.




Butterflies, a snail?, birds, and wee beasties are to be found.



Caterpillars! Fish!


Beasties!

Isn't it just wonderful? Thank heavens it survived and is still treasured.

Details HERE about the cloth and lots more about Blanche Parry.





Lovely Arts & Crafts style pulpit, and above it, probably the old doorway for the rood screen and loft.


The Altar and below, close up of the Last Supper carving.



Above and below: Beautiful stained glass behind the altar.



The Blanche Parry monument, although she is buried at Westminster Abbey.



The dedication ends:  

So that my time I thus did pass away
A maid in court and never no man's wife
Sworn of Queen Elizabeth head Chamber always
With maiden queen a maid did end my life

In other words, I died a virgin, as did our Queen!


The piscina.





Look up and see angels . . .

Please do check out the links.  They give so much more information than I have time to include here.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful church, I do like the link to Elizabeth I. It is so nice to find links like that in local churches. The stained glass is really beautiful. I do wonder if they did end up dying a virgin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth visiting, if you're in the area. As to were they virgins, apparently she wouldn't have dared lie on her memorial for fear of not going to Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much to like in this church, the blue stained glass windows of angels, the cloth of silver, the beloved virgin servant to the virgin Queen, and more. Nice tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all very pleasing and fascinating. SO much history here.

      Delete
  4. That embroidered alter cloth is breathtaking. Thank you for the link too. I love embroidered items and had never heard of this. I know very little about Blanche Parry, but she must have led a fascinating life.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just. Standing SO CLOSE to such history. I am so glad that the work of these embroiderers has not been lost and forgotten. There's a biography about Blanche Parry and I am quite tempted . . .

      Delete
  5. That altar cloth is an AMAZING relic. The detail on it must have taken multiple people months to embroider.

    Isn't it sad that the times dictated that a common woman's value was tied to chastity. It seems as if the rich could get away with things that would ruin a poor woman for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Doh - pressed publish too soon. Was saying that months of work must have gone into that dress. It's of the calibre of something the Royal School of Needlework would make, yet these were just humble embroiderers earning a living.

      As for chastity, I felt like Blanche was trying to scotch any rumours about her beloved Virgin Queen and also underlining how far in life SHE had got, without a man providing for her!

      Delete
  6. What a treasure that embroidery is. Thank goodness it was preserved .
    I didn't know you had a Bacton over there as well as the one here and another on the Norfolk coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an absolute gem, and to think it was worn by someone so intimately embroidered herself into the weft and weave of our history. Bacton seems to be quite a common name then.

      Delete
  7. What an amazing church with so much history. Will add it to my list to visit. The altar cloth is amazing. I have a book, not read yet, on Blanche Parry by the wonderful Logaston Press. I've heard how good Abbey Dore is so I look forward to your photos. I will read again later and follow the links so thanks again for all the photos and links - great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear your list is getting very long! You will have to read the book and get all genned up on Blanche, and then go and visit. Abbey Dore is lovely too and just a stone's throw away.

      Delete
  8. I'm fairly sure I've seen that piece on cloth feature on a TV programme, but can't remember which programme or when I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right, as I can remember seeing it too.

      Delete
  9. An incredible church with your lovely photos. As always, I am particularly drawn to stained glass. Some of your photographs are very similar to some stained glass that I have on purchased cards.

    I had my annual asthma review yesterday, only three years overdue! I had to do some quick thinking as to why I'm ordering my Ventolin so frequently. I pointed out that it's not good to run out of this medication, especially when you go in to collect your repeat and they haven't got it in stock. So I openly admitted to keeping a couple on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember being told off for ordering too many Ventolin inhalers too, but to be honest, I had one in my bag, one in the bedroom, one in the car and one spare as it isn't something you want to run out of.

      Isn't it a stunning church and the stained glass was very well executed. Don't know who made them, sadly.

      Delete