Saturday 3 September 2022

Setting up

 On Friday, setting up day at the Antiques Fair, I was totally exhausted.  Not helped by having to stay until 7 p.m. then come home and load the car up with other various bits - chairs etc.  Anyway, here are some bits on the Ugly Table!  As you can see, my Green Man is quite a character.  I showed him to a fellow trader yesterday who specializes in old oak carvings - many of them from churches - and he reckoned it was ecclesiastical, and had been high up on a beam, or a beam end in a church.  He thought I'd had a lucky find.  The black faced mask is a Northern Indian Dance Mask and represents a Baddy - a devil - hence the black face and big handlebar moustache. The Spanish stirrup in the middle dates to about 1850, and the goose behind it is Indian and on wheels, and for moving spices across the table.  Then at the front is another green man carving, probably part of an old coffer, and the loop across it is a bull's pizzle . . .




Largely studio pottery, and a couple of vellum documents.


Turkish wooden grain scoops, Welsh costumes, a lovely Dairy bowl, French Walnut oil jar, French enamel kitchenalia etc.


I couldn't have managed without Tam, bless her.  I think we shall all sleep well tonight!

6 comments:

  1. Have a great day with lots of Sales! Looking forward to hearing how it all went. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was a complete washout as the Met Office got the forecast completely wrong and, expecting rain all day, folk stayed away in their droves. As it happened, it rained at 8 a.m., hard, and then only a couple of showers later.

      Delete
  2. Oh I do hope you slept well after all that! Sometimes, though, I find I get too tired to even sleep, at least though when you're lying down you are resting. Hope you had a good day at the fair and had less to bring home than you took! You certainly had an interesting and varied selection available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly I did. Should tonight too as I am WORN OUT! Brought home a little less than we took. I buy things that catch my eye - are interesting, unusual or pretty.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the grain scoops, just the sort of thing that would catch my eye ... and empty my purse ... at an antiques fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold one, but still have the big tea cup one left. You'd have enjoyed this Fair - lots to see, posh end and lesser.

      Delete