Saturday 17 September 2022

Brockhampton Part II

 A sitting room as it would have been in the 1950s.


Finally, the other half of the post about beautiful Brockhampton Manor.  It has been laid out to take you throughout its history, from the 15th C up to the present day.  It was saved from utter dereliction when a visitor, John Buckler (an architect) visited the Big House which had been built on higher ground.  Tenant farmer had done the property no harm by modern improvements, but the Barnebys had done nothing in the way of maintenance in the past.  Fortunately the then-owner, John Habington Lutley listened to Buckler's plans and an ambitious restoration began.  Even the moat underwent restoration and now is home to ducks and wildlife.


Inside the gatehouse, there are "Marian marks" - the double VV's conjoined which are religious marks symbolizing the Virgin Mary and indicate that Catholic masses were once held here (at a time when they were illegal). I didn't go upstairs as some other folk had just gone up, so I missed these.  There were also burn marks, often found in properties dating from 15th - 18th C and a superstitious idea to protect the building from fire damage.


In the Parlour, is an old saddle and bridle and pair of leather boots, along with the travelling case below (I don't think is was a saddlebag as described as wrongly shaped).








Upstairs, WW1Uniform laid out on the bed, and a memory of another soldier, Albert Sprague (whose room it was), and who sadly died at the Battle ofCambrai.  His father was the Gamekeeper on the estate and young Albert had been an "Ag. Lab" until signing up.







Isabella Barneby's Room, from 1685.  This would have been theyear after 39 year old Richard Barneby became the new owner of Brockhampton.  His wife was pregnant with their fourth child.   The bed is on loan from Croft Castle, where we were last month.




Isn't this a lovely work of art?



There was a lot of this writing on the ceilings, all done by one very skilful lady in recent years.  She must have got a stiff neck!!



One last glimpse of Alice Dennett's Kitchen (1910).  Gosh, I would have been right at home here, though the little range would probably have taken some getting used to.  Edwardian breakfasts cooked in here contained a selection of meat dishes including game pie and cold beef; curried eggs; herring; and collared eels.  Tea and coffee were taken, often a tankard of beer or a glass of cherry brandy were preferred!





The ruined Chapel, where a piece of Malvernian pottery (see modern pieces in the Buttery photos in Part 1) was found. It dates between 1166 and 1200, during Bernard of Brockhampton's time here.



Finally, the outside of the house.  All the windows were to the front and side.

Update: everyone is for me getting a ginger kitten so I shall take a walk up there tomorrow . . .

Meanwhile I managed to splash Cif cream cleaner into my right eye last night when scrubbing the sink.  I washed it out but it was gummy overnight and feels like I've had a right hook this morning!  Hopefully it will mend as I don't fancy the 40 mile drive to Hereford A&E and a weight of 6 - 10 hours or more . . .

10 comments:

  1. I do like seeing around these houses. Thank you for sharing it. I confess I miss the days when we had a car and could go out and about visiting places like this.
    Ouch to the Cif in your eye. That's not funny at all. I know you'll have washed it well, but perhaps you need to wash it out even more? You definitely don't want to end up in A&E if you can help it. As for the kitten, I think it's unanimous. We've all been really helpful, haven't we? How old are they and when do you bring them home??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame you aren't mobile. I would be totally lost without our car (we're two miles from the town for starters, which is where the nearest buses run.)

      My eye is back to normal today, and following your advice I did give it extra irrigation which made a big difference.

      Don't know the age of the kittens yet. I have a phonenumber now so will ring this evening.

      Delete
  2. Oh geez. That cleaner must be powerful stuff. Keep flushing that eye. Sounds like there is still residue in there.

    What I love best about old houses is thinking about the stories the four walls held. They have done a good job at capturing some of them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eye all better now. I will make sure I never do that again!

      I'm with you on the history held between those four walls. I agree with you, they did a very good job with the interpretation.

      Delete
  3. It seems hard to believe that what I remember in the 1950s is now considered history. When we moved into our present house it had a 1950's fireplace in it which I took great joy in sticking a pickaxe behind and ripping it off the wall much to my farther in laws horror. Sound like we have both been in the wars. Yesterday I fell of the top of a stepladder while finishing off some guttering on out house that boarders next door. I lost my balance then twisted banging my elbow on next doors bathroom window breaking it on the and down finally landing on my backside. Have to pay for a new double-glazed window now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary isn't it? Yet compared with today - I can remember coal and milk being delivered by horse drawn transport, and roads being mended using huge old steam rollers, corner shops with biscuits sold loose in tins (open to the flies!) and sweets four for a penny.

      Ouch to your falling off the TOP of the stepladder. Not a good career move! Expensive too, with having to pay for the window. I hope it was mostly just your dignity which was bruised.

      Delete
  4. So good to see your photos of Lower Brockhampton, I cannot remember much about the inside as I was so entranced by the garden and moat and orchards in springtime. Hope your eye has settled down and I am so excited about you adopting a new kitten. We are definitely going to have our 28 year old son at home for a while from the end of this month. I am focusing on the positives of having him around and trying not to feel too cross as there is no doubt that he has been priced out of the London rental market. He is on his way here now with a bike and to collect the car - taking advantage of the weather and the BH on Monday and heading to Pembrokeshire for some cliff climbing and camping. After a morning in the bookshop I have spent the afternoon clearing the tomatoes and preparing the ground for garlic planting and it was so sunny I decided to mow the garden grass again. Meanwhile S de-brambled behind the fruit cage using the newly sharpened shears and loppers and continued with meadow mowing until the battery ran out. We finished our labours with tea and beetroot chocolate brownies in the garden feeling tired but happy. Finally I planted a terracotta pot with coppery pink Chrysanthemums which started as heel cuttings taken from my friend’s garden in May. I used to have a wonderful clump of bronze chrysanthemum at the allotment which would give me flowers for cutting until December so I am very happy to have the beginnings of a clump here. Right back to my knitting which is slowly growing - 4 ply on 3.5mm needles! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son is here today, having come to help me out with the top paddock/orchard, mowing the lawn and digging a hole to transplant my Rambler rose "Malvern Hills". That's now tucked away in a corner and I have a big planter to refill with compost and something pretty for next year.

      I hope your son enjoys Pembrokeshire although it's a looooooooong drive for him.

      I did a bit of tidying in the garden today though I had to really PUSH myself to do it as I slept badly last night and had not an iota of energy. Well done with your successful Chrysanthemums from cuttings. I have tulip bulbs to plant. Probably in a pot because the soil here is so difficult to work with. Poor Danny had to dig a hole two feet across and the same deep for my rose.

      Keith has perked up from yesterday and is currently enjoying a slice of my chocolate apple cake for pudding.



      Delete
  5. I remember us having a sideboard very similar to the one in the 1950s kitchen, though ours was passed on by my aunt in the 1960s. My mother was so proud of it, it was practically a hanging offence to ever put a vase of flowers on it without putting a coaster and a doiley down on it first.
    I love the embroidered hangings and fire screens, and wonder about who made them and how long they took; but admit to having serious kitchen envy when comparing it to my own small one.
    Do hope your eye recovers quickly, but if you’re still having problems tomorrow maybe a visit to A and E might be sensible?
    Best wishes Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it odd that the furniture I grew up with and despised is now deemed trendy and called "mid century"! I still don't care for it . . . I have a couple of embroidered pieces here, clearly made for fire screens but not used in the end. I need to pass them on . . .

    My eye is back to normal today thankyou - quite a relief. I found out that for small things like that I can go to Llandod, which is only 9 miles away.

    ReplyDelete