Sunday 21 April 2024

A wander around Cors y Llyn nature reserve

 Cors y Llyn is only about 6 miles from us by road (less as the crow flies.)  I've not been there this early in the year before, and it was good to see it in spring.  It was a perfect walk for little "I"'s short legs and she enjoyed herself.  She recognized the Dragonflies picture on the reserve plan/information board, but of course it is too early for them to be about, although we did see lots of St Mark's flies as we returned to the car - perhaps very newly hatched as they hadn't been there on the outward journey.  They are black, with dangling legs.


Last year's Bullrushes looking a bit the worse for wear.


The stunted pine trees with their toes in the bog.


Lots of different mosses too.


Birch Boletus.


With all the rain we've been having, water levels were high.


Yesterday was a gardening afternoon, and I have more seeds started, including a gorgeous Cranberry Cosmos, and Emma and "I" sowed Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds.  I did some weeding along the west side of the house, where the old mansion wall is.  Grass and Dandelions everywhere.

Would you believe this time the patchwork is going really well - I am literally just making it up as I go along and the two block panel is looking amazing now I have started on the borders and joined the two blocks with a long row of 5" strips.  Finished photo later, but here was the state of play yesterday morning before I began adding the short strips border.  It has tied the purple and lilac strips in well.



7 comments:

  1. The birch boletus photo is brilliant, a creature peering out from behind the trunk. Lucky little "I", her walks with you will give her a wealth of knowledge and happy memories. All this, plus sewing, gardening and everything else which you have in your life, I feel exhausted just thinking about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a lovely nature reserve and I am glad you got out for a while. Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds were planted here too yesterday. The patchwork is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned the St Mark's flies as we saw some on our walk today and wondered what they were. Little I must have had a wonderful time exploring the natural world with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely place to take a little one out into nature. What you call bullrushes, we here on the prairies of Canada call cattails most of the time. Not even sure why we call them that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fascinating the variations that can be made around a Log Cabin/Courthouse Steps center. My quilting is currently in a using up scraps mode before I pull out some of my hoarded Moda fabrics and start a serious project.
    Flower gardens in a welter of weeds already and not much I can do to remedy.
    Lovely that 'I' is enjoying country ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely childhood little I is having! Nature explores and gardening and dress up with the cats. She really does sound like a little darling.

    I hope that you will take pictures of the hung curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great place to walk for short legs. Lovely moss.

    ReplyDelete