Wednesday 17 April 2024

Out of the mouths of babes . . .

 I was weary yesterday, trying to juggle half a dozen jobs at once after yet another poor night's sleep, and continuing worry over Keith.  "Jennifer's tired", I announced, weary.  "I" looked at me and remarked, "Jennifer's ALWAYS tired!"  Hmmm.  Wisdom at 4 years old . . .  I'd waited all day for the District Nurse(s) to come and check Keith's pressure sores, which he had been complaining about.  They came late afternoon and put some soft covers over the area, saying that the sore was healing.  Keith was in discomfort though - he WILL persist sitting at just the same angle all the time and can't get comfortable when we put him on his side.  Today I had to take the dressing off as a fresh area was reddening and I had to get cream on it.  He isn't drinking anything like enough and has dropped a pint straight away as he has given up on tea as he can't manage hot drinks any more.  He is getting fussier and fussier about what he will eat and I tried him with four different meals earlier in the week - and each mealtime can take up to an hour . . .  Needless to say, he needs to eat MORE (and drink more).  I got him Complan this week - just waiting for him to wave that away too.


A little sewing help from Lulu today . . .  This is a quick(ish!) strippy curtain for the Summerhouse.  I have the strips of another sewn up but need to do the border and back.  I struggled no end with the tab top - thinking I had it placed correctly but then bodged the corners of the tab and ended unpicking it all (my stitch ripper is always red hot!) and hand sewing it instead. Worry does not a good curtain make . . .


This was the book I was tempted by.  I haven't had much chance to dip into it yet, but can say what I've read so far is just up my street.  She has written two others, so I may treat myself to those in the future.

 Odd childhood memories have been coming into my mind randomly today.  Like when I was riding a pony called Snowy in Cricket Camp woods, went under a low branch, bending low on his neck, and snagging my nearly-brand-new blue woollen jumper.  My mum was NOT pleased.  A house where the old Queen of the Gypsies lived, opposite us, a creosoted cabin gloomily sat under a planting of tall fir trees.  Going scrumping in the abandoned orchards down in the valley.  A time when we knew the name of every pony for miles around - even if they were names we gave them ourselves!  The footings of a windmill near Windhover Roundabout - a windmill which has now been restored.  I guess the oldest memories are the safest ones . . .



16 comments:

  1. The curtain is beautiful! And such a sweet helper kitty! Can ''I'' help you sew? [ I am pretty sure my dad had me helping sew, like help feed the curtains through] by age 4 or so.]?
    The book looks interesting---it seems you enjoy the churches and so on for their history mostly? If you have Instagram, do you follow @historyalice? She often discusses churches and cathedrals in England and Scotland, so fascinating. One last week was dated in the 1100s, almost 900 years ago. Not Wales yet but interesting. She may be on You Tube or TikTok, I m not sure. Brief vids so you'd have time.

    Poor Keith! Can he not even try to eat? I looked up the supplement, I hope he will use it. Then there are others even more high calorie for weight gain, plus nutrients. I had to be on Boost/ Ensure supplements/ liquid diet at one point, no solid food allowed. not tasty but helped me recuperate.

    I hope your day is spring like and sunny and you have gotten out to walk or garden. Take care!
    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is just what is needed in the summerhouse-turned-treatment-room .

      Oh my gosh, I am making enough mistakes without getting little "I" to help just yet, BUT she wants to learn x-stitch, after admiring a beautiful bookmark made by my friend Gay. I need to get her some of that very large count aida.

      Keith struggles to chew and swallow. It's the progression of his disease. He has now complained about the Complan so rather than give it in one thicker glassful, I have told him I will do two glasses, with more milk in so it's not so claggy. He has eaten a bit better today - a two course breakfast - Wheatabix and milk and I added some calorific crushed Flax seeds, then scrambled egg. A scratch lunch but a good tea of fried potato cubes and a small chicken breast, fried.

      Sunny at times today and I got a short walk in but there was a bitter wind from the North. Forecast is for minus 2 here tonight and so I've been out with the horticultural fleece and have especially covered all my seedlings in the greenhouse.

      Delete
    2. It got cold here too, tho not a frost. Gale winds, mid 40sF. But Mo the pug and I must still go walking, ugh.

      My dad also taught me to embroider and quilt. He started me w lazy daisy and french knots on all his old fashioned/ never without/ white cotton handkerchiefs, which he them proudly used, crooked flowers and all. Another idea is freestyle crosstitch where you make the Xs with a heat removable pen {Frixion here] and then the sewer just learns to sew the crosses, no counting. "I" does sound fun, such a cute age.

      Delete
  2. Your childhood memories sound well and truly worthy of a great book - I used to love the Pullein Thompson's stories, etc. I reckon you probably had plenty of adventures on, and off, your pony and could write a whole series.
    Sorry to hear that you and Keith are having such an awful time of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pretty well all the Pullein Thompson books (and still have them, in a box under the bed), along with the Monica Edwards ones, which were my favourites. I probably could write a horsey book or two - lots of stories to tell.

      Yup, life not much fun for Keith right now, and it upsets me to see him so.

      Delete
  3. The curtain fabrics are blending beautifully--why did I never think of making panels in strips! I have made tab-top curtains in the past [Wyoming house] and they came out well, but not until I had wrestled with the math on spacing the tabs. I was measuring width of finished curtain and dividing it by the placement between tabs, and coming out one short. I think I finally figured out that I couldn't use the center as a starting point, but rather space the tabs either side of center. I daresay I'd have to think it all through again to do it correctly now. Once properly placed and basted on, they became sandwiched between curtain and lining/facing.
    Of course Lulu is helping. Rosie-cat takes a great interest in my recent quilt piecing.
    Keith: oh dear--each day there are new challenges in this debilitating condition. I daresay nothing seems palatable to him and therefore he rather wearily balks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Queen of the Gypsies"--that sounds like a story worth hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ensure may be easier than Complan...and tastes better!
    Wishing you patience,..and hope xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of the mouth of babes indeed. What is the news on carers? Will they come for a specific amount of time so you can plan a nap or walk etc? Do you those big blocks of foam for supporting people in bed? They come in an assortment of shapes for tucking/wedging in where necessary. Caring for Keith is a full time job, can you review the division of labour with your family? Nag, Nag, one of my skills ha ha. So true about safe memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That curtain is lovely. Sewing strips of fabric together is a great use of pretty fabrics.
    I'm sorry it's so difficult for Keith. Would he drink tea served just warmed, not hot? Yes, children notice more than we think they do. When I was taking care of my sister, others would tell me to take care of myself and get more rest. I never figured out how to manage to do that. But I hope you can. You have some good childhood memories. .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that curtain is gorgeous, as is your helper. So sorry that Keith is not eating or drinking very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can give a couple pieces of fabric to little I and teach her hand stitching to make a pillow for her dolls, it is something that will keep her occupied and she will be proud. My granddaughter loves sewing. She certainly is no expert but if practice makes perfect, she will be. I am sorry to hear about keith, but it sounds like you are trying your best to stay on top of a lot of issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe these are very good created by a young man for his grandma.
    https://www.jellydrops.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me it is difficult seeing what you are going through each day looking after Keith, for some of us have been on the same pathway but there is a lot of good advice out there. Patchwork is a good hobby. Pretty materials, bringing them together and making something useful, they take the mind of worries, I believe it is called 'flow'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The oldest memories are the safest ones? That is an interesting thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New reader, so you may already know this: pressure sores can be prevented/alleviated by using a sheepskin rug. Even synthetic ones can be beneficial. Sometimes, medical ones are called something along the lines of "pressure relief fleeces". J

    ReplyDelete