Tuesday 30 July 2024

Channelling Keith and proud of myself

 Keith would have been so proud of me.  Watching him fettle furniture - chairs especially - down the years had me trained up to do the same.  I set off by gluing the loose joints into the crinoline stretcher on a lovely old splat-back Windsor chair which has been lurking in the kitchen a year or so now. Getting the sash clamps in place was a job you needed 3 hands for, especially as they had to go on the bobbin turning, but Danny helped and it's now tightly glued again. It will get a good polish today. 

The pieces of towelling rag are to stop the wood becoming bruised from being in the clamps.
 

Then I got Danny to carry out the rocking chair into the yard. This was originally a  very low and worn down mid-Victorian splat-back Windsor which we bought many years ago and had always been in the bedroom for Keith to put his clothes on at night.  When we moved here, we got the master carpenter who fitted our kitchen and did repairs on the sash windows for us, to make rockers for it.  Then it moved to the living room and got regular use, but the unstained rockers needed sorting out.  About 3 weeks ago I asked Keith how I could stain them and he spelt out that I should put some wire wool in some white spirit for a week or so, and that would give a dark stain.  Right enough, it did.  I was amazed how effective it was, an once Bri-waxed it has toned down brilliantly to the same colour as the legs.  I shall bottle the remainder to use on other jobs.

Before . . .

After. It will take a while to acquire a better patina, but a good start.  Now it needs to find a new home.  


I have 7 chairs to sell, probably privately as they take up a separate trip to take them to Builth Antiques Fair to sell, but think of the room I'll have! Money for bills too.  3 of them are Smoker's Bows (aka Captain's Chairs) which Keith always loved but you can't tuck them under the table and for that reason I will replace them with old ash and elm kitchen chairs with good seats and turning. (RUTA - I will put up photos of these as I think you were looking for one).  One has a cane seat so I have prevailed upon my good friends Pam & Dunc to recane it for me. The Georgian oak settle will also have to go, as none of the children will have room for it, and it's not a treasured family piece. That's worth a fair bit so will swell funds, as will the huge 1750 Georgian oak coffer in the Library, which needs to go too.  The money would help my New Zealand fund - I'm hoping to go and visit my best friend from school days, Rosie. (L. Lin, you're in the same category but much closer to home!!) That really would be a holiday of a lifetime to look forward to.

Finally, the old Edwardian "penny" chair, thus called because of the round seat. This was a bit of a labour of love to rub down and polish up, as some twit in the dim and distant past had sploshed sticky black stain on it and it had run down legs and across stretchers.  I used Meths and fine wire wool to do the rubbing down, and was grateful that the D. Nurses had left a whole box of disposable rubber gloves behind.  Just the thing for this messy job.

When it came out of the stables, it was very dull and not at all attractive.

But after . . .

Elbow grease an Bri-wax . . .  What a pretty little chair, with lovely turning.  This should fit in the car to go to Builth.

What else did I achieve?  Lots of Rosie-cuddles and entertaining (she is easily bored!) I made two big Apple Gingerbread cakes first thing to use up the stewed apple I had loitering in the fridge.  New resolution - NO chucking out of anything in fridge - I have had 6 mths of that with Keith going off or not being able to eat so many things.  Just have carrots to use up so will probably make carrot cake, or freeze them.  Not really soup weather at the moment . . .

I took Danny to and from Newbridge-on-Wye to get his car warning light fixed.  I charged Keith's mobility scooter.  I got Danny to put the spare tv up in the attic.  I went through the 4 drawer sewing bits stack and put a pile of things into a box for car boot/fair which has all sorts of sewing charts, books etc in from last year. I also picked up my new specs as I broke the frame (2nd time with this design of glasses) so had to have a new frame again.  I did read some of my book, but not very long and not outside as it was far too hot.  I had half a can of lager whilst we were watching a film, and was in bed at 8.20 p.m.  Shattered.  Then I woke at 2 . . .

Today Danny is going to take me to the Three Cocks pub for a lunchtime drink.  It's a beautiful and very old building and Keith and I always wanted to see the inside, but it was never open when we passed.  As it's almost opposite the garden centre I will go and get the bag of compost which I need.  Some Miracle Gro compost to give a helping hand to the tiniest Hollyhock seedlings ever . . . they germinated and then hardly grew.  I obviously bought some CRAP compost in the spring. I shall just potter and rest today, so don't worry, I will tweak the work/rest balance.

You'll laugh - both daughters were texting one another and Gabby said, can't we give mum some Calpol to calm her down, like she used to do to us before we drove up to Manchester when we were little?!!!  I'll settle for wine I think :)




35 comments:

  1. Those chairs look absolutely lovely after your ministrations, Keith certainly taught you well.
    Enjoy that lunchtime drink, you deserve it x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - didn't get it! Turns out the pub has turned into a B&B now, so I never WILL get to see the insides!

      Delete
  2. The penny chair looks lovely. Good to hear you are having a quieter day today - without Calpol - what horribly sticky stuff that was - must have had lots of sugar- sugar free now I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar free has been available since the 80s at least...but you have the choice of sweeteners in that or colouring in the sugared variety...both of which can trigger reactions...

      Delete
    2. When we had to drive from Carmarthen to Manchester with 3 little ones under 5 I never read the label, just gave them a spoonful and enjoyed having them sleep for a couple of hours!!

      I was pleased with the penny chair.

      Delete
  3. Those chairs look gorgeous. I think a glass of wine is well-deserved after all that work. My husband has bought a few of small pieces of furniture to sell on recently and I have been amazed at what a good wipe down and I coat of wax can achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your husband, that's how we started 40 years ago! Oh, the fun we've had down the years too, and some lovely pieces of furniture for our home. We were lucky it could take the big pieces - antiques no-one wanted because they were too big. We sold most of them with the house, so they will be there forever.

      Delete
  4. I love those old chairs and still keep my old one. Busy, busy, but it is all for the good but don't wear yourself out for goodness sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, yesterday was a bitsa day, all the kids here and I had to go and see the Registrar in Llandod (lovely lady). A little bit of polishing done . . .

      Delete
  5. The chair and the rocking chair have come up beautifully, if it was mine I doubt I could part with the rocking chair, it is gorgeous, and clever Keith to know that way to get the rockers to match.

    I would definitely choose wine over Calpol any day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's here for the moment. I do need a LOT less in the way of furniture though. Keith could never resist a good Windsor chair . . . Yup, wine wins hands down over Calpol!

      Delete
  6. Those chairs are gorgeous...what a difference a bit of polishing makes! You're like a whirlwind! Enjoy your pub lunch and a mooch around the garden centre - Melanie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never got to the pub (see my comment to Alison above). Nor the garden centre - could have gone on from Llandod to the little one near Crossgates yesterday, but it was very hot, and Rosie was in the car with us, and so I will get some this weekend instead.

      Delete
  7. You are doing the same as me... carrying on with things we did together and realising that I CAN do it... although a friend supplying another pair of hands is necessary at times!
    Those chairs look beautiful...and I can smell the baking in my mind 😎❤️
    Use doing things like that as a springboard to eventually find what you want and need to do for yourself....our beloveds would be proud of us xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you have a particular lifestyle, it is part of you. Keith always wanted me to carry on with the Fairs, and a good friend, Simon, who lost his wife far too young, told me the same. Keep on keeping on, through the bad times, and then you have a future when you come out the other side. Wise words.

      Delete
  8. That penny chair has a gorgeous patina, I too am still decluttering, another 2 bags of old t shirts and jumpers to the charity shop today. We are still waiting on a completion date - just want to be packed up and gone to our new home. Had a potter in the garden and OH has dug up about 6lbs of potatoes and I've tidied the strawberry bed up. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done with the old t-shirts and jumpers. Tam's Jon is ahem, a bit of a hoarder, and she was absolutely horrified to find he had 150 t-shirts! She is going to have to have Stern Words with him I fear.

      I must sort out my spuds as the foliage has died back now. Kestrels they are - first earlies? Grown in a spud bag, which works well for me.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like tricks of the trade to me, wire wool will go rusty in water so no doubt it does the same in white spirit. Wire wool is not something I keep due to my background in the engineering field I worked in. Cryocooled magnets did not take to wire wool. If it got in the windings or in the cryostat they were it caused them to fail. The whole body scanners in Hospitals were first made by the company I worked for in Oxford had to be kept well away from the stuff, you would not want one failing when you were in it. Your Keith would have been impressed with the first one it looked almost Victorian. I'll have to remember the wire wool trick
    PS part of the original scanner is in the Science Museum in London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, your old job sounds very high tech and precise. I can remember using one of the first office computers - it was an invoice calculating machine and keyboard and they always had Bill the engineer there, changing one of the internal boards. It was the size of a large desk to hold all the boards needed and was quite something!

      Delete
  10. Cheering at GZ comment x well done darling , just go with the flow and be prepared for when the ebb comes and go with that too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All gz and I can do right now. I think all those unfathomable challenges the Universe kept hurling my way had a purpose - training me up to be brave and cope. I have more confidence in myself now.

      Delete
  11. The chairs look beautiful, I'm amazed at the resulting improvements in the finishes. And the work lets you connect to Keith on many levels, as your hands work hard. You do need to rest and recuperate, please find time for your physical wellbeing too. Sending warm wishes.

    Cheers for D for planning to to take you out to lunch. He is a wonderful son.
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get back to my quilting, which has of course been abandoned, although I did rework the errors in the double cable quilting for the Baltimore quilt, sitting quietly beside Keith in his final week.

      Whilst I missed out on the lunch, Dan, Tam, Rosie and I had a chip shop supper in the park the other evening, and then went for a drink in the pub with the beer garden in town. That made a nice change. D IS a wonderful son, and the two girls have also been my help and support through this. I put my life on hold when they were small and now they have returned that care in spadefuls.

      Delete
  12. Well done on everything. I love the penny chair, wished I lived on your island. The New Zealand trip is a great carrot for saving up for. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ seems just a dream at the moment, but I will try to make it happen. I now need someone else to fall in love with the penny chair.

      Delete
  13. The chairs look lovely, your Briwaxing technique is obviously much better than mine, and yes I am still looking for a captain's chair. I look forward to seeing the photos whenever you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness those chairs are gorgeous. I am glad that you are channeling Keith.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel he is close when I work on them, and look for stuff in his workshop. Tub of sawdust anyone? (He used it to mix with wood glue and fill damage in furniture. Worked a treat.

      Delete
  15. Did I live near by, I'd be rapping on your door and begging for that rocker. It is gorgeous. Off to google bri-wax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri-wax works very well, and comes in various colours dependent upon the wood you are working on.

      Delete
  16. Those chairs are Magnificent ! Keith would be so proud of you. Keep buzzing on the good days, and be kind to yourself on the difficult ones. Hugs from New Zealand - where the weather is DISGUSTING!! Although the costs are greater, do come in summer ... January through March ... unless you enjoy snow, driving rain, fog and very cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that advice Virginia. Didn't want to come in winter - happy to avoid it at home!

      Delete
  17. I am so glad that you are able to keep busy. When my first husband died it was rough at first but then felt like a liberation and I married again, but i was a youngster at 46.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that long list I wrote will be worked through over the coming weeks, and has been added to in my mind. I need to clear old pre-Covid stock which is in the attic and one stall in the stables. Will get Danny to carry down boxes before he goes back to Emma and "I" today.

      Delete