. . . However, I have fettled something that needed fettling (with wood dye). I have posted a parcel and had some exercise walking round town. I just don't have the energy to go further as it is muggy here after the rain. I have answered questions about the mobility scooter and been paid. I deliver it over the weekend. I have put in an order for some heating oil and the scooter money should pretty well cover it. 86.5p a litre though. Sigh.
In my walk round the town I did a loop and passed my favourite house.My soup (of which I had some at lunchtime) was very tasty and full of lots of veg. I really SHOULD get on with Rosie's little dress but am not feeling the least bit motivated. Perhaps if I Google how to sew a simple child's dress I may get on with it. Well - back again and that made it look incredibly easy, whereas I have talked it up into something only geniuses can do! Technique is different to what is written on my pattern though. . .
I will at least go and find my Christmas X-stitch magazines. I found the lovely runner above, which I could make with some of the Christmas fabrics I have in my stash.
There are some lovely ideas in this little booklet, which was a freeby with Country Living one year.
I shall sit down with a book and a cuppa now. Current book is Running for the Hills by Horatio Clare. I am also idly reading a book of short stories by Elly Griffiths, but they are very poorly crafted. I really want to start Death in A Desert Land by Andrew Wilson . . . Watch this space.
I have gien myself a cheerful afternoon by buying a 2012 copy of Just X-Stitch Christmas magazine from Ebay (put in an offer). I have been sat down watching the 2020 version of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca". Excellent. Lily James starred as Mrs de Winter, and Armie Hammer was Maxim. If you haven't seen this version, I can recommend it.
I have decided what x-stitch Christmas tree decorations I will sew for my grand daughters. Of course, one suggested a silvery Aida which I got rid of a couple of years ago. Drat. I just didn't keep it long enough - clearly 20 years was too short a time frame :)





Help! You're mentioning the dreaded 'C' word already!
ReplyDeleteActually, our local Tesco has this past week replaced all the summer gardening stuff by aisles of Christmas chocolates, cakes etc, and we're not even into September yet.....
Sorry Will - but I sew slowly! I needed some projects to cheer me up as well.
ReplyDeleteGosh, Tesco is a bit quick off the mark! Note to self: do not buy tins of choccies early this year, as you know darn well they won't make it to Christmas!!
Took Stepmum into The Range today and they have Halloween AND Christmas goods out - its too early. Although I did sort out the box of Christmas cards and the birthday cards box and have a bag of unwanted ones to go to the hospice shop. Are you a magazine hoarder too? I keep my Country Living magazines for ages. Xx
ReplyDeleteI went into the range for price tags recently and was very disappointed that they have discontinued all sorts of stock (small labels included). When we lived 10 miles away I used it regularly. Now it's a few times a year I get there, ditto Charlies.
ReplyDeleteI hang on to the good issues of Country Living (some aren't that brilliant). I have some Christmas issues going back to the very first years. Now I try and pass the run of the mill ones on to friends.
wow there are some lovely crafting ideas in your photos, I do crochet here as I find it very relaxing on my days off, have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteI don't crochet much - so infrequently in fact, I almost have to learn the stitches over to refresh my memory!
DeleteI do love how you brightened and enthused as you went looking for one inspiration and found another.
ReplyDeleteYes, I did cheer up as the day went on and I had some inspiration.
DeleteLooks as if you have some good magazines for ideas for crafting. I'm hopeless at keeping things for ages - moving so many times- it all goes.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Running for the Hills - a long time ago and all of the books Andrew Wilson did featuring Agatha Christie - three or four I think?
I keep checking the oil gauge thingy, still 6 bars - I'll wait til it's 5 then order.
AH - you have a newer tank than mine. I have to dip mine with a bamboo cane.
ReplyDeleteRunning For the Hills is enjoyable. Its raining steadily out so I have an excuse to sit down and read a bit this afternoon.
My crafting magazines - I keep the best. Now and again I will go through and harden my heart but these particular Christmas x-stitch ones I will keep until I can no longer sew. Tam does crochet and knitting, but not x-stitch - yet!
I shall try and read all those Agatha Christie books by Andrew Wilson.
86.6 is still cheaper than 1.70 odd for diesel round here though at last my car is petrol and does not need 500 odd litres in the tank like you will. Never checked in Tesco to see if the Christmas stuff was in, normally goes up after the kids go back to school. Agatha only live down the road from me and is buried in the local churchyard of our village
ReplyDeleteYes, prices for diesel for my car actually dearer here - 182.9 a L here in town :( Fill up before you travel down next. Tesco in Llandod a penny cheaper . . .
ReplyDeleteI always associate Agatha with Devon. I didn't know she died in your neck of the woods.
Here is my blog https://thechurchexporer.blogspot.com/2012/09/agatha-christie.html
DeleteThanks for that Billy. Have been across. Glad they cleaned up her gravestone as it's so much clearer to read now.
DeleteMotivation is a funny thing isn’t it? At times annoyingly elusive……
ReplyDeleteI feel out of sorts since the end of the heatwaves, you’d think I would be grateful, I guess we’ll pick up soon…..x
Alison in Devon x
I really didn't want to do ANYTHING this morning, as I had slept badly and been awake in the night again. I have managed to stay awake though and even started on Rosie's Christmas x-stitch which is - of course - a Christmas Puffin!! Yes, the hot weather put me totally out of sorts and out of kilter with going out for walks.
DeleteThat house is adorable. It looks like a dolls' house at full scale.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it just? So pretty.
DeleteI paid more than that for my heating oil. However, I am thankful for having my tank full and paid for before winter. I think you are great to always be busy. I am quite lazy in my old age and enjoy my days! Rachelxx
ReplyDeleteWell, at least we are aware of the price before ordering. Back at the end of winter some friends virtually ran out, put an order in and then had it cancelled at the last minute and the price virtually doubled, so they went elsewhere and still had to pay the same inflated price.
Delete