When I hefted my lovely new (old) cupboard, I began to wonder it hanging it on the wall would result in a large chunk of wall falling off with the cupboard . . . It is solid oak. Armed with a suitable bribe (Chocolate Apple Cake) I went to see Sam. . . He came and had a look and we reckoned that perhaps configuring current furniture and moving the dairy table to the other end of the long kitchen table, and sifting the oak settle along a bit might do the trick. Then we could sit the cupboard on the dairy table. I would have to move the two lovely old Windsor chairs which had formerly sat either end, but we would manage things somehow. I've moved a chair round in my bedroom and popped one up there for the time being.
So I have had a shift around and a giant vacuuming bits that haven't been reached properly for . . . a while! . . . and have been going through boxes and bags of family history folders and research, old mail, scribbled notes, postcards, a pile of books I mean to read but stacked under the dairy table, everything stacked on the dairy table . . . Oh my goodness, I did not enjoy that. I have deep cleaned the hall too, taken out the little Secessionist chair by Adolph Loos in Vienna in 1930 - ready to polish up and take to the Unit this week. I've just put leather balm on the seat and back and it looks lovely.
In the middle of all this frantic sorting out, I had to make jam as I had put the Jumbleberry jam ingredients in the pan to thaw out overnight and it needed cooking sooner rather than later. That gave me another 5 jars to add to the Christmas hamper shelf in the cupboard.
I will come back later with a photo of the shifting around. My Dorset friend D would call this "the moveits". She has a PhD in this . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment