I decided my lovely dole cupboard needed "dressing up" - so here is my favourite battered old jug - repaired with tin strapping after the handle broke off because it was someone else's favourite old jug too . . .
I went to the Unit yesterday, and put some new stuff in, and took a few things out. Ingoing were some more personal effects, including the last of Keith's militaria. I took a chunk off the price of the Windsor chair in there, as it lives in the kitchen here and takes up a lot of room.
In my mind, my intention is to draw out at the end of Sept, though I have to give a month's notice so it will be end of Oct. I go. Unless there is a huge radical change, this is not working for me. I have sold two pieces in two months, the expensive one a piece from my home - and now some more personal collectables have gone into the Unit. I am considerably out of pocket. It is a loooooong drive when nothing is moving at the Unit. Pleasant enough in the summer but not in the wintertime. If I was selling jewellery, I'd be laughing. My girls have the expertise with jewellery, but I have not and with the price of gold and silver right now, no way can I afford to start again.
Ah well. Such is life. I stopped off at my other friend Pam's house for a natter and to pick up some jam jars. Some have been soaking overnight to get the labels off. It feels a bit like being given money, as they cost £1.50 or so each to buy. I did go in Charlie's yesterday (country store) and bought 4 of the nice hexagonal jars for special gifts.
We have had a little rain but not enough to really matter. The big fires at Rhandirmwn and near Rhayader are now under control/out, thank heavens. The ones above and around the Valleys not put out but more controlled, and there are now Military helping out (looked like the Ghurkas from Brecon).
Autumn has definitely arrived early - the heat and lack of rain has caused plants to sacrifice their leaves and the Beech, Hazels and bigger-leaved trees are suffering. It is 14 deg out at present (19 or so later). I am planning an early walk and then try and get my head around the dress for Rosie. I have nothing planned now until the very end of the month. No excuse not to clean the windows!
Yesterday's podcast was The Rest is History - 4 (out of 6) wondrful podcasts about Elizabeth 1 and the political shennanigans of her reign, plus a wonderful one about Sir Francis Drake - I'd loved to have met him. I am now a lot more informed about this, one of my favourite periods in history.



No comments:
Post a Comment