Monday 17 September 2018

A day out at Malvern Fleamarket


This was one of a pair and I loved their glum - yet baleful - look!


I am always sad for the bigger examples of taxidermy - this would have been a magnificent beast when alive.


A really OTT example of carving in this Burmese? chair.


Sadly, I think these old beams are just a bit TOO far gone to be reused in a house restoration.


Really?


REALLY?!!!


I love the naive folk-artsy carving on this little cupboard.   One I would have liked to bring home with me.


A cock-fighting stool.  Expensive.  Would you believe my dearly beloved found the saddle-seat of one of these earlier in the day - in a BAD way I might add.  It was £15 and the chap wouldn't budge on price, and I talked him out of it.  Saying it was a lot of work to restore (as a stool!)  I was not popular once we found this one!


Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh!!  The things that turn up!!


This stand always has lovely things on - sellable things!  Wish I could get my hands on stuff like this where we are.  Especially the little painted items - but then the chap here was a sign-writer, so makes and paints them himself.  Pure profit and very commercial.



Finally a few views around the Malvern Hills.




This is British Camp.  If I weren't about to go out of the door, shopping, I could write more about it.  Will add something later . . .

17 comments:

  1. There's no end to the weird and wonderful but who will buy the "reindeer"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody with no sense of taste I am guessing Sue!

      Delete
  2. People do actually buy these weird and wonderful things. Interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed they do. Glad to say we DIDN'T buy the pseudo Gorilla head!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't have been able to turn down the concrete dogs. My favorite thing to do in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were fun, I have to say. Just a tad heavy to carry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The folkart cupboard is my favourite, but as we all know it's all a matter of personal taste when buying things.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well it is personal taste - I just wish a few more people shared mine when I'm out selling at a Fair!!

      Delete
  7. Some really interesting things there! And then some not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a lot of "some not" around at these Fairs Jill!

      Delete
  8. I haven't been to a good flea market in ages, looking around this one was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were going round for about 4 1/2 hours this time, so got our share of exercise that day.

      Delete
  9. Perhaps the answer to so many weird things at the fleamarket is that the owners can't stand living with them but the little carved cupboard was cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to the weird things at the Fleamarket is that dealers have bought them cheaply and think they can make a good profit!! The cupboard was lovely but I needed to buy it from source, and not two dealers further down the chain!

      Delete
  10. There are some interesting items for sale - I especially like the chap in the first photo :) Would love to hear about British Camp - I haven't been to the Malverns since I was little but it is another place on my list to revisit. The Priory there looks interesting too and I would like to revisit Elgar's House - now being looked after by the National Trust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chap was one of a pair - at first I thought they were dogs, but then, thinking on, I reckon they are gargoylish in style - possibly demons. We don't allow the ear clipping that American breeds have, so demons makes more sense to me.

    I will add British Camp to my next post. There is an Elgar route I think, and he and his wife are buried in the churchyard just next to that fabulous view in the Header photo. I would like to stay and explore one day next summer. Trouble is, we are usually tired out by the time we've finished going round, having got up at 4 a.m. . . You will have to plan a day there - you are closer than us I think (it's a 2 1/2 hour drive from here, along our windy Welsh roads).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful "gargoyle" in top photo - the pair would have come home with me, price permitted! Are they gargoyles do they have a different name?
    KJ

    ReplyDelete