Wednesday 5 September 2018

More from Carmarthen Museum

Some more photos from the Museum for you to enjoy (hopefully).  This is a good example of how the dresser in a Welsh kitchen would have looked in times gone by.  All the jugs (especially the gold lustre jugs and Gaudy Welsh) would have taken pride of place alongside the blue and white china (not always Willow Pattern as shown here).  



Now back to the working part of the kitchen - these photos were taken in a huge room in the former Bishop's Palace where the Museum is housed.  A couple of different ranges were on display:


Looking at the lack of black leading and spick and span-ness I think the kitchen maid should be sacked!!


On the right hand side is a zinc washing tub and beside it the castle-type of washing dolly.


This is the everyday type of china displayed on the dresser here.


Going back through the room with the dairy equipment in it, this is a big cheese press.


A selection of butter making equipment.


A lovely little milking stool and a series of containers for the cream which would be turned into butter.


More dressers in the hallway.  I wasn't allowed to use a flash, so apologies for the darkness of all the photos.


Off to my patchwork class now.  I will post a few more tomorrow, and as you can see from the new header, we have had some sea air this week . . .

18 comments:

  1. You're right about the maid, but I love kitchens in old houses and museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always my favourite part too. I would definitely have been the skivvy!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing - love the welsh dressers - wish I had one
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KJ - we have two small dressers, one pine and one painted, with my china on. When all dressed up they look wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think I have seen pictures of yours - so lovely!

      Delete
  3. That dusty range reminds me of one I used to own! Well, mine wasn't quite that dusty or as charming. The every day china and the pewter are beautiful, so are the tools of the trade. Enjoy your patchwork class - which reminds me, I have found up some much larger pieces of silk, would they be of any use to you - or to someone in your patchwork class, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine. We once viewed a lovely house with a working one still in situ, but got outbid. My patchwork class was great. Happy to pass on the larger pieces of silk to my teacher, as she will put them to much better use than me I am sure (who is short on time!) Alex (teacher) sews in every spare moment and instead of watching tv of an evening.

      Delete
  4. I've always fancied a huge dresser - except for the dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mine stay dusty unless I have a viewing or someone special coming and then there is the Big Clean Up!!

      Delete
  5. I must be old I can remember the washing tub effort. Dolly blue springs to mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognize a lot of things my mum used now being sold as antiques - dammit, I'm still USING some of them!!

    The dolly blue is something we used to use on grey ponies' tails to brighten them . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the sort of day I love, I enjoy looking at things from times past, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there. It's always nice to have new folks popping in. Our little local museum has some nice things, but OH and I are half-planning a night away in Oxford so we can do the rounds of the Museums there. Did you enjoy the Hannah Hauxwell book? One I remember reading years ago. A lovely lady, if a tad eccentric with her keeping everything in case it came in handy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started it yet but am looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  9. The first photo is amazing.
    The everyday dishes look very nice to me !

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't is lovely? LOTS of dusting though!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the dressers and china. It is one thing I have always wanted - perhaps one day if we ever move somewhere with a big kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lovely thing the other day which was just three shelves (identical), one above the other, and dressed with china and it looked just like the top of a dresser. Perhaps you could fit something like that on your kitchen wall?

      Delete