Wednesday 12 September 2018

A drive through the Preseli Hills


We visited Scolton Manor near Havorfordwest this week, and I was hoping to see the collection of Early Medieval Sculptures Crosses they hold.  Hmm - apparently collecting dust in the back of the stable block, which is not a lot of use . . .  Anyway, this was our route across the Preseli Hills and I thought I would share the beautiful scenery with you all.  The tree at the bottom is in a stretch of copse beside the road to the Manor from the car park.  In the above photo, as you can see the Gorse is still in full bloom (again).  When the gorse isn't in bloom, kissing's out of fashion . . .


It reminds me of Dartmoor . . .



Looking West towards the coast - I think that's Carn Ingli in the distance - or it may be Moel Trigarn.


Outcrops of rock and boulders left behind by glaciation.  Again, just like Dartmoor.


One HUGE boulder on the side of the road.


The view behind us, looking towards Cardiganshire.


The view ahead towards Haverfordwest.


What is probably a boundary stone.  I could just make out the date of 1918 on the top, and the initials CJ, and TDL I think, above the arrow and the Benchmark showing the height above sea level.


At Scolton Manor - you'd think it was early summer by the green-ness.

The last photos from Carmarthen Museum tomorrow, and then the Scolton Manor ones.

6 comments:

  1. My Auntie Maida lived in Johnson, near Haverfordwest. Incredible beaches, we used to go cockle picking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is Cockle Picking still in Carmarthen Bay. I bet you have happy memories of cockle picking and those wonderful beaches.

      Delete
  2. Superb photos as always. The gorse is always blooming somewhere in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just lucky to live somewhere with stunning scenery - I point the camera and sometimes I get lucky!

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. You live in a very scenic area.


    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jackie. We are very blessed to live here. Wales has stunning scenery, and quite varied - North and South are totally different.

    ReplyDelete