Thursday 20 September 2018

Work in Progress and Scolton Manor Part I


Work in progress: that has a his and hers division.  K is working on restoring an old high back Windsor chair we bought last weekend, very cheaply, as it was falling apart and had the most important bit - the decorative backsplat - replaced by a plank of wood!  Fortunately he remembered that he had two backsplats of the sort needed, "somewhere" in his shed of "useful pieces of wood".

At my patchwork class yesterday, I took a break from working on Tam's quilt, and decided to make a bag for carrying my patchwork stuff to class in.  It's the one on the cover, and will have a pocket inside, a couple of zips, some stretchy holey fabric to hold my loose bits and bobs and a pretty bright pink webbing shoulder strap (which I've just remembered to order).



Main material for one front and below, with the fabric which will go either side once it's cut and sewn.



Above, other side, ditto, and below, the matching fabric for the side panels.


Below: fabric for inner pocket.



K has been working on this chair which needed the backsplat replacing, and also two of the "sticks" were missing and have had to be replaced and will obviously all be stained up and polished to match (and the surplus glue holding one bit in removed!!)


Above: another project - someone's version of a gypsy table (we bought one like it recently) with "green baize" top (the dealer told us).  It's a bit of chipboard covered in crushed velvet which isn't quite green baize!!  Anyway, the material's coming off and the top will have a circular mirror with glass tile edging (red) around it.


Just some of the many boxes of apples we have already picked to store over winter.



Finally, outside at Scolton Manor is this huge carving of Bran the Blessed, with K  feeling rather miniature beside it!!



Inside the house, above and below: the fine hallway and staircase.



The sitting room.  No flash allowed, so it was a gloomy photo with the natural light shut out anyway.


The dining room.


At the end of the hall, the bit of the White Park bull that they didn't eat . . .  There is a herd of these in the grounds of Dinefwr Park.


The Butler's Room.


I think this was where the servants ate their meals.

Tomorrow, the kitchen (always my favourite part).  Here's a taster:



13 comments:

  1. Love the rose fabric.
    You do visit some wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just HAD to use that. All the fabric is from donated redundant curtain pattern material (much of it made in India, I noticed). Our teacher was given a car full of books of it! The hardest part is getting the paper/glue off the back.

      I can't afford to have foreign holidays, but we do have such pleasure visiting local places of interest.

      Delete
  2. The servants dining room looks quite homely - look forward to the kitchen photos always the best bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel most at home in the kitchen too Sue. The one here didn't disappoint either!

      Delete
  3. A quick apology, the laptop has been having the odd hissy fit and has deleted most of my saved emails and emptied my address book and contact list. Bah Humbug, with knobs on. I wondered when it would be okay to have a visit. We can swap sock knitting help for surplus apples. I will need a new set of directions though and this time I will print them off for safeties sake. I will be in Llandeilo on Monday morning, so only a hop, skip and jump away. But I am happy to have a trip out any day and knitting talk is also a happy bonus. I did a classic double take when I first looked at the post. I thought "why is there a statue of Brian Blessed ?" then i read it properly. Love the fabric for the new bag, curtain weight makes for a really hard wearing bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have your phone number downstairs - leastways, it says "Pam - knitting" so I assume it's yours. Heyup - I've just found I have your email addy too so will give you the directions via that. Knitting expertise for apples sounds like a good deal! Here on Monday afternoon if you want to come over from Llandeilo (or are you there all day?)

      Delete
    2. Would love to see you on Monday arvo, fingers crossed that your email arrives as some have been returned. I hate technology. Sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Hi BB, love the fabric and design for the bag it is lovely will be ideal for your patchwork work in progress. Scolton Manor looks an interesting place too. Like the preview of the kitchen. Wish was nearer as I would buy the apples from you. Nothing like home grown apples. Horrible and wet here today which has triggered my artho again it always slows me up. Love the chair Keith is doing a lovely job there. Catch you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you visited Tricia, I wouldn't let you leave without pressing a box or three of apples on you. We have SO many. Incredibly wet here today - stair rods for the last hour - and now the wind is getting up too. Ah well, we'll survive.

      Delete
  5. I loved every bit of your post, esp the wonderful color of your bag to be and your apples. Mmmmmm they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apples are cookers at this stage Georgia, but when they are stored a couple of months, they can be eaten uncooked. Glad you liked the colour of my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AS I remember Bran's story--he married his sister off to keep the lands for his own children. It was custom back then for inheritance to go to sister's children, because the mother is the only parent you can be sure is of the bloodline. His death was sort of payback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fascinating. A bit like the Pharohs then (marrying sisters etc). I must read more about Bran. We were a bit stuck around Cu Chulainn and Queen Medb when we were doing Irish stuff in Archaeology.

    ReplyDelete