Thursday 12 September 2024

An Afternoon Sewing

 


Having spent much of the morning asleep on the sofa, I took Ibuprofen instead of Panadol and it's made me feel much brighter.  With various Youtube offerings in the history/archaeology department on to keep me amused, I mended Tam's trousers, put poppers on a sleeping bag of Rosie's to make it a better fit, and then blew the dust off an old unfinished 1970s? hexagon quilt I had bought from a Charity shop a few years back. I found I had already raided my stash for any prints which might be used, and only had plain navy blue left and a fat quarter of a red print. I've been looking on Ebay and at Doughtys and the Cotton Patch for prints which might do but no luck so far.


I have put 8 or so extra garden patches on two borders, but as it's a circular pattern, squaring it off is going to be a challenge, even when I get some fabrics.  I have decide I may treat myself to a trip to Malvern Autumn Quilt Festival next month.

I've not been out of the house all day but my body is telling me it's rest I need.  I'll do a walk tomorrow - when hopefully I'll be feeling a bit brighter.

It's only 17 degrees in the house and 11 outside, so I have caved in and put the heating on for an hour.  An extra quilt will be going on the bed tonight too.

Oh, and just noticed this: https://www.gbnews.com/money/council-tax-single-person-discount-keir-starmer-budget  We single pensioners will lose our 25% single person discount.   And after that, the bus pass will go.  Never needed to use mine - until NOW.  How Labour can justify this is just beyond comprehension.  How about robbing people blind when they have POTS of money - not elderly people with none to start with.  

12 comments:

  1. You mentioned in an earlier post the high cost of insurance if you go down the Airbnb route.
    I would check that - I know of one person who has been able to put their flat on Airbnb quite successfully when they go on holiday and I don't think the insurance is high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yellow Shoes. I've had two quotes for the Air bnb and one for straight household insurance, all expensive. One says coverage can start from just "£29" - REALLY? I would need public liability, that's for sure. It doesn't seem worth it. Air bnb do their own insurance, but it is limited I think. Plus I would just be letting out to the neighbour, don't want the world and his wife able to come here as that would be a different ball game entirely.

      Delete
  2. The post covid inflation has been scary for those of us who rely on pensions and savings. To be followed by cuts seems heartless. Your mention of the quilt show brings back happy memories of attending shows with my dear quilter friend. She has been in hospital for two months with a c.difficile infection, I suspect caught in the hospital. It was nice to be able to remember some good times we shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there. Food shopping has gone up hugely - even Lidl prices. So sorry to hear about your quilting friend and hope that the c.difficile infection can be knocked on the head. I will put up lots of photos from the show, if you are able to share them with her.

      Delete
  3. Don't believe GB news - do some fact checking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good comment..they are scaremongers

      Delete
    2. Well anon, it's the main headline on Yahoo news this morning. The Guardian is running a piece saying that the Govt. did not do an impact assessment of cutting the winter fuel allowance either. No smoke without fire.

      Delete
  4. I've often found GB news to be clickbait. I'm off to do some fact checking now!
    So berlimin' cold tonight, wrapped in a blanket, big wool scarf and gloves, trying not to put the heating on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst it could be, my gut feeling says it isn't. Now, Starmer is either going to go through with it and stuff us RICH pensioners, or else he's going to do what looks like a U-turn at the last minute and really hit the middle classes under the guise that the pensioners can't take all the hit. As for this feeble excuse "oh we didn't know that the economy was so badly off" - apparently anyone can check the statistics so if they didn't, WHY NOT? Let's face it, we didn't pay off the final outstanding amount of the WW1 War Loan until 2015! He can't expect to clear the current black hole overnight.

      Delete
    2. Actually, rather than inheriting the worst position in the economy, that left by Brown in 2010 was worse. And let's not forget that Sir Kneeler wanted even more draconian shutdowns than Johnson, which would have left an even worse economic legacy.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry the shingles vaccine was hard for you, but glad to read that ibuprofen helped. Having a day in to rest and sew a little is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 24 hours it was manifesting itself, but this morning it's just my back in agony as I slept awkwardly. Today I hope to get back to Gabby's quilt, which has been abandoned since late June.

      Delete