Sunday 15 September 2024

Short Malvern report

 . . .tired out, didn't spend too much.  I bought a couple of unusual things.  Photos of those tomorrow.

gz - please post your comment again because it got zapped by mistake when I was going down a long line of really irritating spam.



This chap used to have his stand inside the barns, but in the past year or so has been outside.  I think you have to guarantee standing for 10 months out of 12 to keep your indoor pitch, and he couldn't manage that. As always, some interesting sign painting of his, and I just ADORE those painted windows.  It did occur to me that I could do the same here, perhaps on the old windows of the permanently locked Georgian door which was the old entrance into the house.  Excepting, of course, you have to paint on the back of the glass.  It's an outside door . . . but hey ho, I may get the acrylic paints out and have a play around on some glass.  My dad used to buy up - very cheaply from auction - old and undesirable religious prints and then paint his copies of Impressionist paintings on them . . .




I liked those iron and brass cannisters on the Egg Packing station but the chap was busy with a customer when I was there and I knew they'd be beyond what I would want to spend.



The corner stand which goes buying in France, as so many folk seem to do these days.





A bevy of cats and old curly photos.




The large gingham print quilt had a big hole in it.



The pale pink quilt was hand quilted.

The stand which specialized in toys also had a couple of samplers on it this time. (Just looked this up on line and it sold for £160 at auction here in Wales).





This one was in very poor condition, very faded and the black thread used had run - perhaps it had been stored somewhere damp.  Just looked closer, and can see it is dated 1608!!! Or perhaps the it is 1808 and the top of the 8 has faded?  It does look like the design is from 1608 though.  Wow.  



The typical sort of random stuff stall . . . 

I have to say, I was away early as it wasn't very big this time (outside) and there were quite a few stalls I was able to trot past with just a cursory glance.  By the end of the sheds, my crapometer had had enough and I was glad to get away.

I had intended to visit Great Malvern Priory, but I was tired by then, hadn't put the route on my phone as I'd been listening to the Forest all the way there (sounds a feeble reason, but I know what I mean) and only when I got home did I realize the turning was opposite the one for Colwall, so I will know next time. Then I got lost in the Malvern hinterland and was glad to find the turning for the Ledbury road again.

I am sat here in the dimpsey now, intending to go through to the living room and cover myself in a thick blanket and watch some more Youtube history and archaeology. Oh, or Antiques Roadshow.


 Here is a vintage mouse I couldn't resist.  She's the summer version of my Christmas meeces!

17 comments:

  1. What is the general take on badly damaged quilts, such as the gingham one? Leave as they are? Reduce in size removing the damage? Repair? Repurpose? Make a winter weight dress for little summer meeces? I would be sorely tempted to cut them up and repurpose. I suppose it depends on the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the non-matching border it's already been cut down and modified. When Welsh blankets are damaged they are cut up and used to make other things. If it was a pretty quilt, it would be worth repurposing but this one is none too tempting to start with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. I'd wash it and then repair it.

      Delete
    2. It would have a good home with you then Lizzy.

      Delete
  3. Thank you! So many treasures! The large check gingham quilt, hole and all; the linen's w red initials. The Seeds sign, the egg station, the wonderful wooden dolls. And more. How fun to see and imagine a morning at the flea.


    Was it really cold, everyone is wearing puffer coats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was chilly first thing, till the sun came up properly, and then I shed layers - hauling round my camping trolley of treasures across the grass.

      Delete
  4. Oh the faded sampler was so wonderful too--all that tiny wording. And the tiny baby shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd have had a real spending spree I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love imagining all the things I would buy! It would be such a treat, I d have to squirrel away all my spare cash for a year! This show seems to have everything I love, except the kitchen stuff like mixing bowls.
      My brother went to a special show last week and I d asked him to look for blue and white spongeware pitchers or jugs. He found a booth filled! But crazy prices, $700. for a jug! That's like, what 500.oo pounds? I was thinking $75.00. And his wife wants a wooden spool chest, they were $900.oo. Wow. So no spending sprees for any of us nowadays.

      lizzy

      Delete
  6. Some nice things there, but nothing I'd have wanted. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, so something would have to be very special for me to buy! I look forward to seeing what you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were other stalls which did have lovely things on but like you I am trying to get rid of permanent stuff, and indeed it goes off to Fairs with me!

      Delete
  7. I would have coveted some--or all--of the cats. Actually I have a collection of cat figurines which can't be set out due to the climb and crash tendencies of our resident felines. I've looked at vintage textiles in various shops, some so carefully laundered and displayed, others that were so musty and soiled I wouldn't want to bring them home.
    I like your Miss Mousie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two stunning plates which I am selling as when the kittens arrived, I could foresee their fate! The same for the Carol Glover plate which will go into a Unit when I FINALLY get to the top of that waiting list.

      People have no idea on presentation sometimes and of course the house clearance guys just pile it high, as it came to them, and you take your chance.

      Delete
  8. I love, love, love your mouse and I'm very glad she came home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you perhaps get a piece of glass cut the same size as your door window and paint on the front of that. Then attach it to the window. Double glazing and artistry in one fell swoop, with the paintwork sandwiched in the middle.

    There are some lovely things on some of those stalls. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always interesting to see what items are for sale as compared to here. A handmade quilt is a joy to see, the amount of sewing required; I know I have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I said treat it like a day out!! Looks like you did🙂

    ReplyDelete