Thursday 19 September 2024

Grasping the nettle hurts

 



One of my jobs today was to strip my bed.  However, I had to go in one of Keith's two chests of drawers for something and decided I would empty his sock drawer.  Then I thought I would make a start on going through his clothes, and seeing what HAD to stay as too many emotions attached, and what could go to the charity shop.  One far away in the opposite direction, so none of us would have the shock of seeing his clothing offered for sale.  (It will probably be St Michael's Hospice, in Hereford).  

Of course, this was quite a big emotional ask and at times the tears ran down my face and I sobbed loudly, but I persevered and there is some good clothing (some new) to help the Hospice out.  I did the same with his shoes - just keeping his running shoes as he wore those a lot and no-one would want them, but they have memories of course.  I will have to remember to add his walking boots to the bag.

Finally I stripped and remade the bed, with the autumn weight duvet.  I should be nice and snug tonight.  I may put hooligan cats downstairs as Alfie insists on being on one side of me, and Lulu on the other, and he gets jealous of her and has scrammed me a few times - latest one deep and nasty and needing a plaster still even after 3 days. It does feel very lonely up there without them though.

I also managed to do some more gardening today.  I carried on clearing the grass and dandelions from around the other two roses on the far end of the bank. The roots were dug out and all, then I laid down cardboard, some very good horse manure and finally bark chippings.  Now I need to work my way along the bank and remove the REST of the grass and weeds and put down cardboard/newspaper and more bark chippings. Progress anyway. 

I finished the afternoon sat outside with a late cup of tea, feeling it get chillier as I was busy with my stitch ripper, listening all the while to The Lost Bookshop.  Nearing the end now . . .

Next week one of my Romsey cousins is in Wales, so she and her husband are coming to take me out for lunch.  I'm looking forward to that.  Tam and Rosie are here at the weekend too, so a nice break from being on my own here.

3 comments:

  1. Sorting is a very difficult job indeed. I confess I still have much to do on that front, but my progress was interrupted by one Pandemic followed by my own diagnosis. One thing that helped me is that I got rid of a lot of my own stuff as well. I passed on 17 bin bags full just two weeks before the first lockdown and probably have double that left to go still. Parkinson's and Procrastination are an odd couple that go hand in hand.
    If you want to feel seriously snug in bed, especially in the colder, winter months, try Portuguese flannel bedding! Other nationalities are available! It is truly amazing. The downside is you don't want to get up! Then again, they retain the heat so when you have to nip downstairs to make an early morning cuppa, the bed is toasty warm upon your return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always difficult getting rid of a loved one's clothes. When my Dad died I took all the good stuff to our local hospice shop and they were very grateful for the larger size clothing, he was a tadge portly and over 6ft tall. You sound as though you are keeping yourself busy. I also stripped our bed and managed to get out and edge a lawn. Seeing solicitors tomorrow - will they give us a moving date, I do hope so. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It hurts...but just think how much you will be helping others...and Keith will be helping others positively...

    ReplyDelete