Friday 13 September 2024

Greenhouse tidy up and mulching the orchard trees

Who would ever have thought that Hedge Woundwort had such imaginative designs on the petals when you get a close up view?

 A morning well spent.  I nipped down into town first thing to get a loaf of bread from the Bakery (one called Norfolk Goose Back from the shape and the Norfolk flour used).  Two hunks of that with ham were breakfast.  I collected my new Spacer for my inhalers from Boots, and went to the fruit and veg stall on the Groe carpark for a cucumber and some apples - they had lovely big Russets, so half a dozen of those are in my fruit bowl now.  That stall is the total sum of our local Market!

Then it was into the greenhouse and get rid of the dead/dieing tomato and cucumber plants, and recycle their compost, sweep the floor and have a tidy up.

Finally, up to the orchard and cut the grass back around half a dozen apple trees, and mulch them with stable manure. 6 more to go, and the rest of the soft fruit area.



Whilst looking for navy print fabrics earlier, I had a moment's inspiration and went to look on line at Calico Kates, the Lampeter shop which is far too tempting top visit more than annually.  She had exactly what I was looking for in a Moda range called Clover Blossom Farm.  I will look for it more cheaply elsewhere as it is priced at £16 a metre!  Meanwhile, I found a print which would do on Ebay and which is far cheaper, so ordered a metre which is less than £6 including postage.  Just checked, and Doughty's in Hereford have it, but it is still £14.49 a metre.  Still not cheap.

Now, upstairs to my sewing room and get cracking on unfinished quilts!

8 comments:

  1. We're having a garden tidy too although friends say its a bit early, I go with the weather and my body! So do it when I am able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have to take advantage of the weather and after a cold night, it was quite warm yesterday. A pleasure to be out.

      Delete
  2. You seem to be doing really well ! Here we have come through an amazing heat wave. ( no not global warming) Watched a very interesting Trump versus Kamala debate. We are Trump supporters. ( We have done the research and don't believe a very biased media) Cooler weather is on its way and possibly some early rain to safe guard us from wild fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still cry every day, and miss Keith so, but can't change that, so just have to get on with life. I appreciate being able to do what I want when I want now, but not the reason.

      Delete
    2. You choose either to go down with the ship or swim. I chose the latter although after 13 years later I am still clearing out my husband's shed!

      Delete
  3. It's unusual for you not to bake your own bread. Was it as good as yours? I got a loaf of chiabatta today, but just me here to eat it, it won't get used up. [freeze some for croutons maybe].

    I wrote this in wrong place, last post, but I think you should have treated yourself to the Moda fabric. I am off to look it up now.

    PS your collection of Wm Morris fabrics sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty. If I buy bread in town, I try and get to them early before they sell out. I hadn't baked bread at home because of being busy at the Fair and then having the Shingles jab, which laid me up for 24 hrs.

      I may buy the Moda fabric yet, but will have to go really carefully with my spending. My last Council Tax payment was 1/4 of my pension, as I couldn't get through to the right department (they were too busy) to say that was what we paid when Keith was alive, and I'd had two letters changing it and then raising it again. I had to make some payment but then the next (slightly lower) is due before I get my next pension payment! That will be £400 in a month!! It will have to wait.

      Delete
  4. I have a friend in Scotland who used to be Calico Kate! Now she trades under Needlesmiths. Does the most beautiful hand painted lampshades.

    ReplyDelete