Monday 14 October 2024

Around the Malvern Fleamarket


 I have always loved these beautiful Victorian copper moulds.  Theyr'e difficult to display though unless you have a dedicated dresser shelf or two and some are quite expensive.  They generally sell around £65 - £100 at Fairs.



Most people just sell whatever they have gotten hold of at a reasonable price and of course the house-clearance bods, whatever comes their way from house clearances.  Other dealers are dedicated to toys, glass, certain makers of ceramics, signage etc. I loved the little rocking horse and the corner cupboard.


Various quilts.  Only the dark green pinwheel one looks a UK handmade design.


A sweet little grandad-made? horse.


Above and below: Mr Sign Man, who has some truly splendid ridge tiles this time! He must order these specially.



I think this is French as the English ones never had coloured designs are.  Whenever I see Christening gowns I think of the ones which used to turn up week after week at every auction we went to back in Dorset, selling for about £16 - £18 each (1980s).  Happy times.  How I wish I could turn back the clock.


Here is a nice old hand-quilted quilt.  I don't think those are Carmarthenshire patterns, but it could well be Welsh, bearing in mind Malvern isn't too far from the Welsh border.


An unusual (French I think) street scene made from paper.


Another lovely horse needing a rocker to be useful again.


The Maypole Dairy had strong links with Denmark.  My grandad, who was a grocer for the West Country years of his life, worked for them and I always think of him when I see a Maypole Dairies piece.  I have resisted temptation thus for as they aren't cheap. 


A couple of stalls next to one another with some interesting pieces.  I especially liked their re-purposing of an old and faded hexi quilt into other things - will see if I can make a couple of the hexi Christmas trees, using some of the beautiful Liberty fabrics I got in the August Fair here.



I have some fine woollen fabrics with stripes to make the stripey one on the left.



Great stalls to make you stop and look.


Oh look, that's me reflected in the mirror!  I had a lovely day, but was very tired after sleeping badly the night before - cat zoomies - and then being woken by them at 4 a.m. and that was it for the night.


I am about to force myself to go for a walk.  It's cold and damp out there and my body is tired, but needs the exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment