Sunday 13 October 2024

Wonderful Things and a £10 day at Malvern

 


Isn't this gorgeous?  I was taking a photo of it as the price tag of £75 meant it was way beyond my indulgence level, especially as I only had £20 left in my purse!  "Oh!" I exclaimed to the young lady whose stall it was, "How I wish I had come across this one before you found it!" and we fell into conversation.  She could tell I was a quilt maker and blimey, you could have knocked me down with a feather when she said I could have it for £10!!!  Did she misread her price?  Had she had it for a long time and had no interest?  Well, perhaps, but she said she wanted it to go to someone who really appreciated it and understood it - she could barely sew a button on, so something like this seemed impossibly complicated to sew.   Well, I patted her arm and spluttered my thanks.  It is gorgeous - Victorian, made using real silk dress remnants (some sadly shredded through time) and cotton velvet.  It's folded in 4 (and has been for a long time so sadly will be creased into that shape until laid out to relax. It's probably about 48" square when opened out.  I am thrilled to bits with it and will love it and cherish it, but perhaps not forever.


This was another indulgence I spotted it as I was on my way out.  Chap had this and another early Torquay piece.  They date from around 1900.  He wanted £30 the pair, but I said I would just have one and offered £10. A good Kingfisher bowl has gone into stock to make room for this on my display shelf.  The 1821 date on this is spurious.


I found the most amazing stand with JUST my sort of things on and spent £100 there.  I am still researching the things and some are so nice (rare) that they will probably end up with me.  We shall see. I was only sad that I had gone later than usual so I wasn't driving most of the way in the dark and two other dealers had gotten to his stall before me and spent £1000 between them - gosh, I wonder what wonderful things I missed . . .  one of them was an angel, as I heard his wife mention it.

Here is one thing I bought there and it will go to the next Fair with me.  A lovely antique Moroccan door (for a big cupboard I think).


I love the designs on it - especially the compass one in the recess and the fabulous hand made nails, hinges and door lock. 

Here's another Moroccan door lock:


Worryingly, Pippi was on the road as I drove back up the hill (Sundays are quiet here).  I think I may have to keep her in on Sundays in future, as she was about 50 yds down the road and any car could have killed her.  Not a thought I want to harbour every time she is out.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend.


5 comments:

  1. Oh my that quilt is so beautiful, reading your description made me recollect a quilt made by my Grandmother Allen, it wasn’t an established pattern, but one that was popular in the US and possibly elsewhere, they were called crazy quilts, made from scraps of this or that including scraps of velvet, and other fabrics that each brought a story Grandma would share. A dress made for a Christmas, another for long ago dance and other such things. Thank you for sharing these photos, it’s like a window back in time. I live in North Attleborough, Massachusetts, Saturday was a beautiful day, though windy. We went to the Topsfield Fair, today was grey and chilly, a real soup day, so I made a big pot of root vegetable soup as I found some lovely parsnips, carrots, parsnips and onions yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That pieced fabric IS lovely. I'd be framing it and hanging it so that I could stare at it and imagine elegant ladies in silk frocks swishing by. I'm a terrible daydreamer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely quilt! You got a very good deal on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why must cats with outdoor privileges go where they are most unsafe. Nothing is much more heart-breaking than to find an animal killed in the road.
    The one quilt I have which could be called antique [ a bit over a century old] is of cotton shirting scraps--some of which have begun to split. I feel any repairs I might attempt would be clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quilt and all your other treasures sound good too.
    I can't imagine how a Moroccan cupboard door arrives in Malvern it must have a good story

    ReplyDelete