I woke an hour before the alarm. It is dry but we have had a goodly amount of rain and everything is grateful for it. A green blush everywhere now.
I am busy with needle - my gardening jeans developed a tear on the other leg, so, pretty patchwork to cover it . . .
First I sew a strengthening patch on the inside of the leg to cover the torn area and then the pretty patches on the outside. This should last a while now anyway.
I have also started sewing Rosie's x-stitch for Christmas which is a Puffin. I have a Puffin I bought in a charity shop, and it is looped over a candle on the mantlepiece. Rosie loves it, so I thought I would make her one for herself. Nothing to show yet as I am just doing the black back of it but it is quick to stitch and I had the colours I needed in my stash, although the dark tangerine is one number out but near enough not to matter.
I am enjoying Running for the Hills, but he has his mother arriving on her own, a local taxi all the way from Abergavenny! and arriving at a freezing house and wishing there was a stove. Well, surely there MUST have been some form of heating - an open fireplace at least - or else the last owners couldn't have lived there. She foolishly pulls out all the bits of newspaper and disgusting old rags which were stuffed in the walls and bitterly regrets it the first time there is a gale, which howls into the house through all the gaps in the walls! I have memories of returning from Keith's brother's after going there for New Year, and our old house would be SO COLD - it was like walking into a fridge. The first thing we did was to light the big Hergom stove, which in those early days was multi-fuel and ran on wood or coke. It devoured wood like there was no tomorrow and I can remember Keith cutting up a fallen oak tree which barely lasted 6 weeks for fuel . . . I also remember wondering why on earth there were the lids of (probably baked bean) tins nailed at intervals along the skirting boards . . . this was a simple and efficient way of keeping the rats out . . .
I think part of the reason for being down in the dumps is because Keith's mobility scooter is going. With it go such sad memories of when he could barely get about and going to Malvern was such a challenge for him. He would have had it months earlier had not Tam encouraged us to try and get funding for ex-military personnel. It took over 6 mths - and we didn't get it in the end - and we had to declare each and every single expenditure, which was very uncomfortable to do, as you lost all privacy. All that has returned to haunt me. Today's challenge will be trying to reverse it backwards up the ramp, heaviest bit first, then turning it off to lower the steering column and somehow heaving it into the other vehicle. I am glad the chap buying it will be there to do the strong-arm tactics! We have arranged to meet half way, which makes life easier anyway and I can get some bits of grocery shopping afterwards - cat food from B&M Bargains.
Last night I was watching History Cold Case USA - a couple of programmes, where they try and trace the ancestry and identity of long-dead skeletons (over 150 years ago). It was really interesting and amazingly they did manage to identify one young couple buried together in one coffin - she died first of cholera and her husband just a couple of days after. Another was a Native American Indian from the West Coast, who had travelled across America and ended up buried in New York state, a Christian burial at the fort where he had been a soldier.
Right, this won't do. Time to get myself tidy to go out. Update: chap buying scooter had great idea of using the ramps to make a bridge between our vehicles. Some disassembling required, but it worked a treat. Phew!


I’m sorry you’ve been feeling down, and hope that releasing the scooter ultimately removes the reminder of sad days and makes you feel lighter… Glad that process went smoothly!
ReplyDeleteIt feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I have been trying to sell the mob. scooter for so long and no interest. We took the seat off and folded the front down to get it in his car. It only needs to be moved once again and that's to his holiday caravan. He was delighted, which is such a positive.
DeleteOnwards and upwards Jenny. Keith would be pleased the scooter has gone to someone who can use it and you can use the money for something that will bring a smile to your face. At least he managed to use it to get out to Malvern. Just watching the racing from Goodwood, watched it yesterday too where they had great fun trying to get one horse into the stall. In the end the others went off without him. I've got today's Mail with the next part of the Du Maurier story and I'll willingly post it to you if you want. Xx
ReplyDeleteHugs to you. I am sorry you are having an off day. I have cheered myself with 6 chickens.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I quite miss having chickens but at Ynyswen we had Polecats and they could get in through the tiniest hole.
ReplyDelete