Friday 10 September 2010

Baking always helps

There is something about baking which cheers me up. I have spent the morning baking - these wonderfully politically-incorrect biscuits, a Chocolate Courgette Cake, a ginger cake using a new-to-me recipe which looks a pancake failure (OH will eat it though), and I have a batch of Sugar Biscuits about to go in the oven. Recipes will follow.

This recipe was passed on to me by my dear friend Mary, who used to make huge batches of these to serve with her Yorkshire Farmhouse Teas when she and her husband farmed in Yorkshire.



NIG NOG BISCUITS

1/2 cup S-R flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 tblspn cold water (oops - forgot that today!)
3 oz margarine
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 dessertspoon golden syrup (or treacle if you prefer).

Melt fats and syrup in pan. Mix Bicarb with water and pour onto dry ingredients. Form into small balls and bake in a moderate oven (350 deg.) for about 15 mins - I have a fan oven and they were done in 9 mins!

Enjoy.

You will be glad to hear that the baking HAS cheered me up.

8 comments:

  1. It's the glorious smell that cheers the soul, I always think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something about EATING that cheers me up........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skated over this post quickly BB as I am on a strict diet for my health and am doing very well on it. Must say that those biscuits look divine though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And when it's a recipe I know well, I'M in control for once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lovely, glad it cheered you up a bit. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness. I must try these too! I got hooked on "Golden Syrup" a year or so back. It's so expensive to order it from Great Britain and pay horrendous shipping for it...but it's so good. I'll "treat" myself again before Christmas to use it in holiday baking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just what I needed for the girls when they arrive home from school, I've a batch in the oven as I type...excellent ...THANK YOU
    Glad the baking cheered you up :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and these work quite nicely if you forget to add the sugar..which is just as well as that's what I did....

    ReplyDelete