Saturday 27 August 2022

St Stephen's church, Old Radnor

 "Hisdoryan", whose blog I follow, calls this church "A Medieval Gem" and writes eloquently about it (see link).  Again, it is one I have driven past a few times since moving to Powys. It was well worth a short detour to explore. 



What a beautiful door - real attention to detail. Remains of water stoup on right.



The font was vast - I have seen bigger, but having been to so many churches this year, I am struggling to think of which has that honour.   According to local history, it was made from one of a group of nearby standing stones.  I haven't been checking out the prehistory of Powys, mainly because a lot of it requires climbing steep hills, and I am very unfit these days. HERE is a link to these particular stones and I must seek them out.






I loved the naturalistic designs in this yellow and amber glass.  Not something you often see used in an entire window.  I am now pretty sure that it's Medieval glass, because Hisdoryan shows a photo of St Catherine with these same yellow glass motifs at the bottom.



The view down through the church, with the almost filigree lace effect of the rood screen.



One of three hatchments on the walls.


I spotted several areas of the original Medieval tiles too.




Glass by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. This firm of glassmakers was extant from the 1750s until as recently as 1982.





The roodscreen was very beautiful, as you can see.



A section of the oak waggon roof with Tudor rose bosses.  Sorry it's not a better photo.



The magnificent 16th C organ, possibly the oldest in Britain.



This magnificent memorial is to the Lewis family.  George Cornewall-Lewis was Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary to Lord Palmerston.


Lesser mortals, but still clearly important in the community.





It is busy in town this morning - Bikes and Beer is on at the showground and the fields at the back covered in tents and bikes and, I'm sure, comatose bodies!

Keith is much brighter today and we will be doing our Tai Chi exercises shortly.  He is working on neck exercises and pushing his chin back (difficult as his neck is so tight).  I need to finish assembling an old quilt I bought unfinished (I've since finished it).  Big simple hexagons.  Needs to be out of my house and in someone else's, soonest.

Theo got on well at the Vet's - his teeth aren't too bad, but his ears full of mites again.  That's been treated with a combo spot-on type of treatment so everything - worms, mites, fleas etc done at once.  Now I have ear cleaning drops to administer every couple of days -you can imagine what fun that is single-handed and only a towel on my side, which protesting Theo is wrapped in.  I got him some shredded tasty cat food too which he is eating.

Have a good weekend all.

16 comments:

  1. I agree the church is a medieval gem the organ is the oldest surviving playable organ. I have been to the church a couple of times and still find it one of the more interesting ones to visit. I found the stones make on the OS map. Take the road to Kinnerton (small church there quite nice) and stones are on the left near Four Stones Buildings. I must have past them on my way to Kinnerton church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd love this one Billy. Ooh, thanks for the route to the stones - they sound doable. Will get my map out in a mo (currently polishing stock (rubbish to you!!) to go to the Fair, and about to do our Tai Chi exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely small parish church indeed, and that door is quite something else. Glad to hear Keith is brighter today. I'm still waiting to hear from the neuro physiotherapist. Gosh, that's a mouthful. I'm wondering what exercises they'll give me. Poor Theo. It would help immensely if our furry babies. Could tell us what was wrong. Instead of these expensive trips to the vets. I'm testing a new feature today on my laptop. It's a voice activated typing system which is helping no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the detail - the pride in how it was decorated. Keith even bought the washing basket down today - something he's not been able to do for months. We just have the ordinary physio and I think PD's not his strong point.

      Theo is eating well today and filling out again.

      A voice activated typing system - oh gosh. You're showing off now!!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely church, the carving is gorgeous, and that organ magnificent.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some enormous church organs in these parts - they liked to impress with their music.

      Delete
  5. It is a very lovely church. I love 'traveling' with you. Your pictures are great. Yesterday's post had me concerned for you and yours, but I'm glad things are looking better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debby. I'm glad you like the journeys I go on. I have been rather down this week and seeing Keith struggling yesterday was hard.

      Delete
  6. You got some brilliant close-ups of the stained glass details.

    Good to hear that keith is feeling a bit brighter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sorted out bits of wood for a repair this morning, which is progress. Guess who got to climb in over the obstructions to his barrels of "useful wood"!! I hope this new med is kicking in now.

      Delete
  7. Yet another beautiful church - you do share some treasures with us BB - thank you. I am sure we your readers really appreciate it. I know I certainly do. That reminds me that the grandfather of my boss who owns the secondhand/antiquarian bookshop I work in was known as Reader, hence the shop is called Reader’s Good Books. I worked this morning and was so busy - combination of BH, Farmer’s market, bikers galore and a sunny day. It was so nice to come home to peace and quiet. I have done nothing this afternoon bar pot on a salvia bought from the farmers markets for a fiver called (cringe) “Love and Wishes” for my late summer pot collection Nothing too exciting - Miscanthus Morning Light (don’t trust Miscanthus in the ground after a BAD experience in my previous garden!), pelargonium Dark Secret, chocolate cosmos and today’s purchase, plus an array of succulents. While I was at work husband had a cycle ride and almost finished mowing the meadow. So far he has cut it on the highest setting so it looks rough but after a few days he will cut it again on height level 4 (out of 7) which is the height we cut the garden grass at. I don’t like very short shaven grass - we’re not Wimbledon after all. Sorry about the physio’s comments. I hope I’m not thoughtless in the things I say. We are all different and what works for one doesn’t work for another. I have always done everything in the garden and allotment, including all the mowing, but this year S has stepped up to the mowing. It is good for him to help and with our eGo battery mower it isn’t physically hard and after mowing for an hour the 56v battery has to go on charge and he comes indoors to catch up with the cricket. I’ve felt extraordinarily tired today but as soon as S has finished watching the cricket highlights I will watch yesterdays Gardener’s World with a cup of tea and then head up to bath and bed. Hope you are having a restful evening too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy days are good - you really appreciate relaxing afterwards. Lovely plants you have bought - I have been SO good today at Malvern and not bought any. You are always so helpful with your PD comments and not at ALL thoughtless. I think the Physio thought what he said to Keith would get him to try harder. I won't write about it on here as anyone could read it and be upset.

      I am absolutely shattered after waking every 1 1/2 hrs for the loo the last few nights and then being up at 4 a.m., 4 a.m. and today from a deep sleep at 5.45 a.m. A glass of wine and bed methinks.

      Delete
  8. I could see myself touring churches, but I would much rather work in them. You get to know the places so much better when you do. More time spent I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, by working in them you would know them a lot more intimately. Short of doing the cleaning!, not sure how I could get to know a church better, so just visit instead.

      Delete
  9. What a super church. I especially love the medieval glass but there are so many interesting features. Wasn't that church mentioned in a Merrily book? one of the older ones in the series. Pleased to hear Keith felt a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right RR. I will have to reread them all to find out! What a hardship that will be . . .

      Delete