Saturday 20 July 2024

A bat in my SOCK!

 Well, the Universe has obviously decided to have some fun with me, so after Splat the Bat, today we had the Bat in the Sock.  These were socks I wore for half an hour yesterday before I found out how hot it was already outside, so took them off and - yes - left on the carpet.  Rather than have a totally clean pair on today, I thought I'd use these. However, the 2nd sock had a bat inside it and I nearly put my foot in the sock and on the bat.  Normally I don't panic when bats are around (unlike Tamzin), but I will confess that I DID shriek! and flung the sock across the room. The bat then landed on my dressing gown, and in opening the window to shake it out, Shadow hurtled into the room, obviously intending to take advantage and the bat dropped onto the radiator and I only just got it out with my hanky before it became a Bat at Bedtime tonight.



Keith's a bit brighter today, but still not eating much.  The D. Nurses came out and showed me how to put the sliding sheets on the bed so I can get him up the bed when I'm here alone.  I had put the top sheet up the wrong way when I tried, as the only instructions showed a picture of one sheet going lengthways and the other across it . . .

Tam and Rosie here, so I will away.  The photo was taken in the beautiful walled garden and orchards at Berrington Hall.  

13 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment. Do you think the bats live in your attic? [And I am imagining an adorable children's book about the Bat in the Sock, all tucked up and snuggly, like a little sleeping bag...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bats live underneath the roof tiles - they start coming out at dusk - about 9.30 ish at night, and go back in around 5 a.m. ish at present. Still don't now how they are getting in as no obviously holes in ceilings etc.

    I love the idea of the book about the Bat in the Sock! There's an idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open windows, no screens? Babies who aren't smart yet, attracted to your lights?

      Delete
  3. Bats will live in the smallest of crevices. We have lots of bats around here - they are a good indicator that you live in a good clean (ie no pollution) atmosphere as bats do not tolerate unclean air. I expect yours come in through open windows. We’ve only had a bat in the bedroom once - nowadays we ensure we do not leave lights on, windows open and curtains undrawn in the summer months. It’s now 8.30pm and already I can see the first bats swooping low over the meadow where there must be hundreds of thousands of insects. I expect our bats live in the many old oak trees that fringe our meadow and whose roots secure the old dismantled railway embankment. In the spring before the oaks have their leaves our woodland is white with blossom from wild Cherry and damson trees and carpeted with primroses.
    Lovely to hear that you have Tam and Rosie there. That should take your mind off sliding sheet travails for a while. Sarah x PS Clapham church today (which I have visited before) had a decoration of four archangels behind the altar - created from tiles designed and made by William Morris. I knew there was something artsy crafty about the church but had forgotten the Wm Morris connection. The church itself was sensitively restored by Gilbert Scott in the 1870s and had a peal of three bells dating back to the 1350s - that is very old for a church bell! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the air is very good here, and when we were in Carms. Lots of ferns living in crevices on the trees too, another indicator. No windows open past teatime so truly don't know where they are getting in. They used to come out from Tam's fireplace but we have that properly blocked now.
      I've just checked out Clapham church - Gilbert Scott did indeed carry out a tender restoration and I love his font - hard to believe there wasn't one there before. Suspect it ended up in someone's garden as is often the case. The memorials to a couple of families show they were good breeders - 12 and14 children respectively!

      Delete
  4. The bat probably thought the sock was a safe place....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Checked my shoes today as I noticed another bat lurking on the half landing curtain as I was going to bed. Haven't encountered that one yet!

      Delete
  5. Well that would send me off screaming! I do appreciate bats, just not in my house and goodness not in my sock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got used to them at Ynyswen where they were mostly a PITA. The joys of living in an old house.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, how startling that must have been. A bat in my sock would have not been expected at all.

    Glad Keith was a bit brighter today..

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'twas rather unexpected, I have to say!

      I am hoping Keith will perk up now - have to try and get more nutrition down him.

      Delete
  7. We once had one of the cats bring a bat into the house, so maybe that's how yours is getting in.
    Hope today is a better day for Keith, I'm glad the District Nurses are coming to visit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something spooky about the house. Bats everywhere do be careful about the vampires ;)

    ReplyDelete