Saturday 6 July 2024

St Meilig's Church, Llowes

 


I have three churches to write up.  This is the middle of the 3 I've visited.  If I had a pound for every time we've driven past it down the years, I'd get a decent holiday!  This is St Meilig's Church, at Llowes (not far from Clyro and Hay-on-Wye).  Of course, it's position means that it has links with the Rev. Francis Kilvert - see photos at the bottom.




HERE is an excellent link to the history of the church, and St Meilig too.



Common Mallow growing over a grave.


Stunning hinges on the door into the Church.



A choice of two fonts - the one below was found in a nearby garden, used for flowers!  It is said to be Early English or Norman.  The one above is Victorian, dating from the restoration of the church mid-19th Century.







Sorry this isn't very legible.


This is what I really came to see and it didn't disappoint. The Llowes Cross. Info about it is on the link HERE 2, which is the same link as that higher up the page.

















Looking towards Hay Bluff and the Black Mountains.







Meadow Cranesbill.

Sorry, this was meant to be a more in-depth post about the church and the wonderful cross.  I am on my own here and have really struggled with Keith today.  I'll spare you the details but he nearly fell when I was getting him back into bed.   I have another 3 weekends on my own, and am just not strong enough to manhandle him (nor should I be doing so), and I have had to ask the girls if they can help and Tam said she'd be over.  I'd be ok if we had the Carers in place, so Gabby is going to chase those up.  It's a case of waiting for a care agency to pick up the work and could be a couple of months or more.  I am feeling very down in the dumps now and of course, have got none of Gabby's quilt sewn.

9 comments:

  1. Now there is a coincidence, I visited the place after going to Clyro a couple of weeks ago, I knew Kilvert had been there but did not clock the sundial, I see it is in one of my photos. I suppose I should have taken a closer look. Never mind I'll be heading back down there so will stop off and get one.
    I've been growing some cranesbill from seed

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ancient churches are a wonderful historic record, aren't they. And the meadow flowers are charming. I m glad you got out.

    I'm sorry for your struggles withe Keith's care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decompressing with your lovely blog BB after a challenging day - and we’re not even at the penalty shoot out yet! This beautiful church seems familiar. I’m sure I remember the sundial to Kilvert and reading about moving the Cross into the church. Is it near the main road that goes North to Hay on Wye from Usk? I should have a look at our OS map. Some churches like Cwmjoy, Patricio, and Llanelieu you never forget and I will never forget going to the Easter Sunday service in Hereford cathedral in 2002, so still recovering from Foot and Mouth, with all the country folk and farmers and now North Hereford has elected a Green MP! I won’t bore you with my challenges because they pale into insignificance compared to what you are coping with. Let’s hope that the new Labour administration can save the NHS and properly fund adult social care because if the need is great now it is only going to get greater. Cheers my dear BB. I have just poured myself a small glass of red to sip watching the football. (S could not get out of bed this morning but has revived for the football, thank God.) Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful church - I would love to visit and see the Llowes Cross - it looks such an interesting church especially with the Kilvert connection.
    I am so sorry to hear about Keith and I hope you daughter has arrived to help and you can get some carers sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do feel your anguish. Been there, done that while caring for Mum, now in the middle of trying to find a care package for me in a system that is so badly broken it beggars belief. Sending healing light. It's not much but I do think of you and wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that cross had a few lucky escapes reading the link! ‘In 1830 it again narrowly escaped destruction, when workmen thought to use it as a corner stone for the new school. They had dug a pit around it some four feet deep, and were only prevented from uprooting the cross by the timely arrival of the vicar, who ordered them to stop work and replace the soil.’ just imagine it could have been lost forever! 6th C? Old Stuff for sure! Sorry to hear it’s been another tricky day. A lady wrote on my blog of her motto which was KBO keep bu**ering on! So from my house to yours! KBO dear Jen, it’s all one can do xx
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recent involvement with the NHS by members of my family leads me to think that they will not help for as long as the family are coping. Allowing a situation to develop where the NHS HAS TO step in appears to be the only way these days, unpleasant though it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely photos. I do love the old churches you have in the UK.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting church, there is something very sophisticated about the stained glass windows. I see you are having another difficult time ahead to cope with, do take care and yell for outside care help.

    ReplyDelete