Friday 5 July 2024

An Indulgence

 I rather think I've earned it.  I now have 3 days without D, E & I, so hope to play catch up with sewing and, weather, permitting, garden.  Just hoping I can cope with getting Keith in and out of the bed for Necessary Reasons.  With an empty house, the Atmosphere has gone too . . .  The freezer is working well and being a table-top size, once the old under counter one is out, I have a bit more room in the Utility.  Perhaps Keith's folding wheelchair can be tucked away then



This is my treat - the pattern for Abe's Garden quilt.  Isn't it gorgeous?  I like that I can hand quilt as I go because it's in sections. One for next year I think.  I really love the central roundel and the little Double Pinwheels .  I've not tried those before.  One to take my time over and hopefully little bits from my stash can be employed. It came from a Dutch shop that I was following on Instagram.  I know - I will probably never even start it, but I can dream.

Meanwhile I have screwed up big-time with the hand-quilted border pattern for the applique centre quilt I've gone back to, which I retraced with a very slightly deeper blue marker pen (only one I could get).  The light wasn't good and the 2nd tracing is a bit off so I will have to wet it, dry it and start again . . .  Frustrating.  Back to Gabby's quilt over the weekend.  Though that has it's own frustrations as the layout for it (only just found it in colour) is nothing like my blocks, so I shall just sew them in strips and Gabs will have to use it like that.  (Update - just found some darker colours which iron out, so have ordered them.  Delivery tomorrow . . . sometimes it has to be done!)

Another (necessary this time) purchase was a pretty floaty summer top and new stretchy jeans from Cotton Traders.  Both were in the sale. I can see me turning into Granny C, who used to buy her clothes from Damart when she could no longer get into Stockport to the Sales.  She was also very hot on ironing, and would tell ME off for not ironing the heavy cotton sheets we had inherited from her . . . .  

I've just had to change my shoes and socks, which were sopping wet from going out and dead-heading roses, and tidying up around Jude the Obscure.  Lesser Willowherb, wild Raspberries (have MASSES of them here), Nettles and grass all grubbed out or cut.  I will do more clearing later.  

A Wayleave cheque has arrived from the National Grid for their electricity poles on our land.  That has covered the cost of buying Tam's little freezer almost to the penny.  Good timing.

Here are some reflections from Crossing the Mountains yesterday.  Either side of the mountains the roadside flowers became Meadow Cranesbill, Meadowsweet, Wild Carrot and other umbellifers, lemon and scarlet streaked Horseshoe Vetch tumbling over the hot kerbstones and hedgerow tangles of my favourite, Tufted Vetch.

Foxgloves and Buttercups jitterbugging from passing cars.  Beyond a screen of roadside Nettles and Sorrels, Purple Thistles sway.  A rocky stream threads its way through boulders and shingle spits.  Scads of white freckles of Heath Bedstraw embellish the moor grass. The wind chases clouds across the skyline, where a meandering row of fenceposts lean above the wind-combed grasses.

Day one on my own nearly over, but Keith has been really stroppy tonight.  I'm trying to make him comfortable, but he is fighting that.  Bet he's good as gold for the D. Nurse tomorrow.


8 comments:

  1. I think you deserve a treat and that design is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt design and lovely description of your drive over the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a beautiful quilt and if anyone deserves a treat it’s you. I think with mixed generation households (let alone one dealing with illness as well) plenty of space is the key to success. It must be hard for Emma to have come in to the fold so to speak, giving up her home. Atmospheres are probably par for the course even when circumstances are not as stressful as the ones you are all dealing with. A bit of time apart will calm things I’m sure. Enjoy the peace and quiet and headspace.
    Xx Danette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, complex and interesting to keep you wanting to do more. I ll be interested to see how you quilt as you go, as my most recent quilt sent tot he longarm quilter is costing me a fortune. [lovely work, but my budget is in tatters.]. You will need a good sewing lamp for winter handwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild raspberries - few things taste better on a walk I think. In france they have these tiny little wild strawberries too - they tase like strawberry sherbet - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the quilt. It looks like great fun to do. Does your local dump accept freezers? I know a lot of places won't take fridges and maybe even freezers because of the coolant. I've had to buy a new freezer as one of our fridge freezers failed but I've paid £20 extra for them to take the old one away when they deliver the new one. I went for a tall freezer as we do batch cooking and there's always fresh fruit and veg to be frozen too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the patient was always on their best behaviour and nothing was ever wrong in the presence of a doctor or nurse.
    Oh, pinwheels! Getting that sharp, central point is vital but oh! so fiddly. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete