Friday 19 July 2024

Berrington Hall - a great day out. Part I

 Words will be few.  I feel a bit in limbo at the moment - waiting for Keith to wake up.  I had a phone call from the D. Nurse to say that the bed locally had gone to a patient leaving Hereford.  No beds at the other local hospitals either so he is here for the moment.  

It's very hot here today and so I am doing washing to get it outside and dried quickly.  I've just stripped and remade my bed.  I've had a good tidy up this morning, finding little bits of I's belongings, kitchen apparel etc from D&E (their caravan arrives today).  I've also finally shrink bagged E's blankets which had been a big heap in the Library for the last  6 mths.  

Anyway, here are some photos of the house.  It was lovely and felt like a family home rather than a grand pile like Chatsworth.













This was the most stupendous dress, some 5 feet wide - you would definitely have to go through doorways with a sideways sidle!  How amazing that it turned up in auction?



The first floor gallieried landing, with bedrooms off, and lit by this beautiful glass dome, which had recently been totally restored, and would you believe all the glass panels are straight, not curving, and held in place by greenhouse clips!




A view across the parkland.  This was a lovely light room - perfect for sitting and sewing in. Lancelot "Capability" Brown was responsible for the landscaping.



A room off the dressing room, which had hand-sewn accoutrements in it.  These designs on the walls were stomachers, the central panel of a court dress.  All designed and sewn by ladies locally.






I think this was my favourite.


Lovely examples of smocking and feather stitching on the final completed one.


Pettitcoat to go under that 5 ft wide dress!  The dress I was wearing had panels of pre-machine-embroidered sashing/ribbon down it.  The Duvet one (should have taken a photo) was one of the Dorma designs, back in the day.  Cream with pink florals prigging.

Too hot to garden though perhaps I should just dead head a couple of roses . . .  I hate this waiting, and am worried about Keith of course.

12 comments:

  1. The house is just another world.

    Families..who'd have 'em.

    Just found that son #3 and family won't be coming up to Pirate's celebration...I know he does have other reasons...but the unspoken one is that son#2 is coming...and he bullied #3 in the past...and has never apologized for that, even to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, family dynamics are never easy. You can choose your friends, but not your family. Sorry son no. 3 won't be coming to Pirate's celebration. That must be hard on you.

      The house was lovely. Tam wants to visit now, so something to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. I esp love the smocking, a craft I never learned to do. And that dress! The wide mantua, horrors. Makes our plain modern clothes look so sensible. What a lovely outing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taught at our school, but no chance for me as I spent two years unpicking my tacking stitches on a blouse I was making. It's a wonder I ever picked up a needle again. All I can say is that Miss Huggins was NOT a good needlework teacher.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh! Berrington Hall has just gone on my "Must Visit List" - if we ever manage to get back over there. I am an embroiderer so period costumes are a particular delight. The skill, and time required, when all was done by hand, and without electric light , amazes me. Thank you for the tour.

    I do hope things get resolved for Keith soon. Actually VERY SOON.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia - I do hope you get to see it, as it did have a special feel to it and those landscaped grounds were beautiful. Hand sewing probably took quite a toll on the women employed to do it. You'd need good light - a couple of rooms really suggested sitting there with embroidery or similar.

      We shall have to see how things pan out for Keith.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely house and wow the garden view is something else.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'd put off going here as I didn't think it would be this nice. Have driven past it quite a few times down the years though.

      Delete
  5. Some very talented stitchers in the Leominster area. How lovely to be able to see that exquisite dress that is 260 years old - what an incredible survivor. I bet it feels good to tidy up and put away. Onwards and upwards BB, you’ve got this and can do it. I prescribe soothing sewing, gentle deadheading, a good book and a slow walk every day. It was so hot here yesterday so I took myself off to Parham in the afternoon and wandered slowly around the house which is packed with treasure. You would love it. Yesterday I noticed for the first time that the Great Hall has high window ledges made of Fittleworth marble - this is the local stone which when polished looks like marble. The alter in our church is made from Fittleworth stone too of which we are very proud. I only realised this when I sat on a wooden bench in the Great Hall to look up properly at the jelly mould plaster ceiling and felt the cool stone behind my back. I love this sort of thing. It anchors and connects me when it’s very easy to feel life is swirling out of control. S not great in the heat. Thank goodness for the golf and test cricket on Sky sports and a cool sitting room. I set him up on the sofa with instructions to drink plenty of water and left him to it. Cool and cloudy today and we’re going garden visiting to the garden of S’s second cousin in a little village called Clapham where I remember there is a church with wonderful Arts and Crafts-style stained glass windows. I will report back. Do try and rest and say to yourself what will be, will be. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are indeed. I forgot the photos of embroidered pockets too. That's something I should love to try - hah, in my "spare" time! I'll include them in the next post.

      I have had a lovely day with Tam and Rosie here, but didn't get a chance to walk as it has been raining. I did manage the deadheading though and a few more repair bits on the border for the Cotton Thistle Baltimore quilt.

      I could do with sitting somewhere quietly and getting anchored. Tell S I'm no good in the heat either. I soon get overwhelmed.

      The garden in Clapham village sounds like it will be a delightful visit, and the little church must be so beautiful too.

      Delete
  6. I fell in love with the smocking so incredibly neat. All those seamstresses must have strained their eyes doing such fine embroidery work. Hope the future gets a little better and Keith can have some good time at a local hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very expertly done. I imagine that professional sewing did give women eye problems and probably arthritis too. I have two fingers on my sewing hand which are getting a little lumpy these days.

      I now worry that Keith going into hospital to improve isn't going to be that way. Lack of communication is a real problem as he can no longer speak and his hearing is bad at present because of ear wax which I struggle to treat as he can't get his head tilted enough to either side.

      Delete