. . . Kangaroo's jockstrap in my house. That erudite expression was one my late ex-husband used to use. Pretty sums up how it is in the house - without the kitchen light on I couldn't see the other side of the room. Thunder is rumbling round and it has been really chucking it down. In fact, it rained overnight and then we had steady heavy rain this morning. I can practically see the green bit of my lawn in the shade of the house at the back, growing as I watch. Now it has rumbled past the Epynts and over towards Hereford, giving Glascwm a good soaking on the way over. Just a little blip there on the FireMap now and the ones around the valleys, also well soaked and faded on the map.
As it had cooled down and felt like Autumn this morning, I made a pan of soup - a sort of Minestrone type with tomatoes, bacon, onions, carrots, leeks, cauliflower, potato - using up stuff which needed using. Tea tonight was a mince and rice "thing" which doesn't look very colourful (should have used passata) but used up a tin of just out of date Kidney Beans, some tomatoes that Ed gave me, and bits and bobs. Edible but not exciting on the palate . . .
I had a lovely day with family here yesterday. Today feels rather flat with the house empty again. We were making Christmas plans and it looks like Gabby and I will be here alone for Christmas Day and I suggested an Indian meal, leaving the roast until the others were here. Danny and Emma and "I" will be moving into their first home together in mid-September, and will obviously want to spend their first Christmas day there. I am now having to share Tam and Rosie with Jon's folk and it's their turn for Christmas day this year .
I have just had an enquiry about Keith's mobility scooter, so am hoping that it will sell. Positive thoughts please, for a sale (could do with the money for the heating oil . . .) I would have to deliver to Pontypridd though, but hey, that's a day out.
I popped to the Library today to collect the Library book I had ordered, Andrew Wilson's Death in a Desert Land. His heroine is Agatha Christie. I'm enjoying these . . .
I found a new-to-me Jason Statham film to watch last night, "Shelter". Keith and I always loved watching his movies. He's got a new one hitting the cinemas shortly, but I will probably have to wait until it's on tv.
I hope you have all had rain in the UK. Lord knows we need it. Farmers are debating whether it is worth sowing crops for next year, so we could be in dire straits with food supplies if they deem it's not worth it . . .


Love that description!!
ReplyDeleteIt is good to have family time even if it is a bit empty in between...but at least it isn't ALL the time and you can really appreciate it.
Yes, I do appreciate their visits. Gabby is always so busy and Danny has to juggle childcare as Emma works into the evenings and needs a lift back home. It will be easier when they are in Carmarthen and she can walk to and from work. He was on holiday this week.
DeleteLots more rain this morning, Sheva insisted on going out and came in with her fur all spiked up in wet clumps. We often have Christmas on our own as the girls like to do their own thing and we're fine with that. Sarah's parents are older than us and not in good health, and they can't cope with young children for too long. I always make us a special meal, duck or lamb and we go for a walk. Its the people your with that counts. Pleased Danny and family have a house at last. Xx
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, she's tougher than Pippi then. If she can feel any rain, she's back in - unless she is stationed under the wooden seating area in my neighbour's garden, waiting for meeces to show up.
DeleteIt's a juggling act at Christmas. Whilst I can't imagine Christmas Day totally alone (I would be so sad), at least I will have Gabby here and she cooks the Big Meal for me now, so I am spoilt.
Yes, I am glad that D&E have saved enough for a house. He spent £4,000 on a caravan which they put at E's parent's place, but after a winter there, went back to renting and sold the caravan to one of her brothers who was paying D back monthly, so they had to start saving that amount all over again, plus the rest of the deposit.
We are talking about Autumn in August as though it's normal!
ReplyDeleteNot usual - but welcome!
DeleteOh my gosh! Little I has surely grown! Must have been the rain!
ReplyDeleteShe's always been tall. She's 6 now.
DeleteI'm pleased to hear you had rain for those fires and you've sold the mobility scooter.
ReplyDeleteNot a lot of rain here, predicted thunder storms missed my bit of Mid Suffolk.
You are getting organised for Christmas in good time! Haven't even thought about it here yet.
Well, it's not sold yet, he's asking more questions. Fingers x'd though.
DeleteMy lawn is starting to green up all over now. Phew. Much cooler and I am looking forward to a heat-free, smoke-free walk today. Sorry you didn't get the predicted heavy rain/thunderstorms.
Finances will work out better if I have finished getting gifts by October, as after that the bills start stacking up.
Fingers crossed that your late husband's scooter sells, a day out in Pontypridd sounds nice. I well remember going there for a day out when visiting my great aunt in Ynyshir when I was a teenager and having faggots and peas at a cafe in the market. Long time ago but lovely memories. From Shirley in OZ
ReplyDeleteOh, I am glad I bought that memory back for you. Faggots - that's something mum loved and I used to get from Salisbury Market when I lived in the area. Mass produced ones not the same as butcher made.
DeleteWe had a lot of rain here yesterday thank goodness. An evening thunderstorm lasted three hours! I just hope Herefordshire has had some rain too but according to the rainfall radar map it looked as though they had. I hope you manage to sell the mobility scooter.
ReplyDeleteHurray for the rain! Hopefully that will be the norm from now on (I may be projecting my own weather wishes :) ) Fingers crossed for the scooter sale...that would be a welcome boost to the coffers, I'm sure. ~melanie
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to see the grass greening up so quickly, we have had quite a lot of rain here now, some of it very hard. Fingers crossed that the mobility scooter sells. xx
ReplyDeleteWe haven’t had enough rain yet but the grass is greening up a bit.
ReplyDeleteWe are starting to murmur about Christmas too, after all it’s nearly September 😀
Alison in Devon x