Monday, 10 August 2026

Open Gardens

 


Pam and I had another little jaunt on Sunday afternoon, visiting two Open Gardens off the Hundred House road near Franksbridge.  I forgot to take photos of the first garden, but she had a lovely Zen Garden by the house, and a super polytunnel crammed with good veg, and a separate soft fruit cage.  All beautifully set out.  She loved Acer trees and had amassed quite a few to plant out when we are not in draught conditions!  She had only been there four years but achieved lots.  

Pam was delighted to see that amongst the plants for sale were lots of Teasels.  She had been planning to buy some seeds and grow some next year.  For a donation (she paid £2 each I think) she got half a dozen and was so pleased, as she cares for her wild birds and is very diligent, washing feeders every other day and putting out all sorts of goodies for them.  The Teasels are for the birds. There were some growing in the garden and she was shocked at how tall they were and didn't know what they looked like!  I think she was thinking knee-height . . .


Isn't this a lovely idea for the bashed sort of Belfast sink, not smart enough to use indoors?


Black Knight Hollyhocks and lots of different roses, all with name labels.  I was just looking up prices (thinking of some here for my roses) and saw some made from squares of slate . . . Now, I have a pile of the original slate tiles from the house, 3/4 buried in a corner of the orchard triangle . . . That gives me an idea.



We could have sat beside this for ages.  There is something so tranquil and relaxing about the sound of a fountain . . .


Plus they had a clay-lined lily pond.


Above and below: both houses (one a former barn) had lovely peaceful views across the countryside.  Pam had to be dragged away - this was her dream house/garden - either property!


Then we drove up the road to the church where tea/squash and cake was on offer.  I had carrot cake and Pam had a lemon topped sponge.  That hit the spot.

It's Monday morning and before breakfast I went and watered round my neighbour's polytunnel and gave his little Orange Pippin tree a good drink as she was looking peaky.  Pippi came to help me (this is her favourite haunt, where she catches meeces and voles.)  I noticed there were a load of wild blackberries along the boundary and picked a pound of those to freeze.

Then off to Llandod for grocery shopping before it got too hot.  I was early enough to nab two lots of reduced strawberries in Tesco - cheap enough to make jam with - so I shall do that in a little while.  The Jordan's berry granola I like was on special offer, reduced from repriced from £4.30 each to £2.75, so I got two.  Earl Grey tea on offer but you had to buy four full packs of 80 each at £5 a time, to get one free.  I didn't want to spend £15 on tea this week.  I will wait until they have a good offer on a single pack and buy two.  I got another pack of good bread flour (Cotswold Crunch) to keep stocked up.  I went to Aldi too, for a bottle of wine as Gabby is here overnight at the end of the week, and some fresh Beanshoots for my chicken stir fry tonight.  

Today's Podcast from The Three Ravens, was Lugnasa, Lammas and Harvest Folklore, very detailed and very enjoyable.  I learned so much.

Everything has been watered, so I will go upstairs now and see if I can get the little dress for Rosie cut out.  This will be my first attempt at clothes-making since I made myself a maternity nightie when I was pregnant with Tamzin!  Wish me well!


8 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful having a good look around other peoples gardens. I have never had a garden good enough to show off unfortunately, mine were always working kitchen gardens, but that makes me want to look at other people polytunnels and veg patches all the more. It sounds like you both had a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these were just nice gardens. The 2nd one admitted to weeds, but they were wild flowers and I commented on them positively when we left. The first house had Cavallo Nero you would sell your false teeth for, it was so good and fresh-looking. She had done a course in propogation etc and had won prizes for gardening-related things.

      Delete
  2. Oh, i love a good nosy around other people's gardens! I have to resort to YouTube, though, as the open garden scheme around here died a death during covid and hasn't yet been resurrected. I'm slowly turning our patch into a wildlife garden (with a few fruit trees/bushes and couple of veg plots) and definitely prefer a 'less-groomed' look so the typical show gardens with immaculate borders and clipped lawns aren't of much interest to me. That second one looks gorgeous..and what a clever idea with the sinks. I would love a fountain too.....what a beautiful spot. Garden tours followed by tea and cake sounds like my idea of perfect day out..especially if you wedge in a bookshop somewhere!~melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame the Open Garden scheme didn't survive after Covid. A few car boot sales round here went the same way too. I absolutely adore the beautifully planted gardens at Powis Castle but these had their charm too. It was a nice afternoon out.

      Delete
  3. I like wandering around other people's gardens. My friend and I went to a village where there are lots of posh people. The gardens were lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to get inspiration from other folk's plantings. I try not to get too tempted by the plants for sale - easy this year as the ground is rock hard and it would be just something else I have to water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We considered buying a house in Frank Bridge. We stopped along the road to look at the outside and had some odd looks from one of the locals, still it is a nice area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Not a lot happens in these parts Billy - you were the free entertainment and topic of gossip for the week!!

      Delete