Wednesday, 12 August 2026

WIldfires and Smoke - update: and two NEW fires!

 I shall be staying indoors mostly for the next couple of days as we have smoke being blown up here from the fire above Ebbw Vale (Llangynidr).  Below that on the FireMap are others lit by happy little Arsonists on their school holidays . . .  Llangynidr had been largely put out once, then someone restarted it.  Bring back the birch . . .



Billy Blue Eyes - I hope you're not down at the caravan at the moment.  It is due to go in a different direction on Friday.  Hopefully sooner.



There is a big hill you can't see for smoke.

I've just been out and watered round - Ed's and mine - and am glad to get in out of the smoke as it does my lungs no good.  I shall lurk inside now.  I have my Electricia air purifier on beside me - used to use it at Ynyswen when pollen was bad.  

Covered in bites from yesterday - mozzies?  Blardy itchy anyway.

Keep safe and cool everyone.

4 p.m. update - a breeze has sprung up and blown most of the smoke away/higher and I can see the quarry again and the hills beyond Builth.  Phew.  Let's hope it keeps it away.

Update: 5.30 p.m.   TWO new fires to the West and S-West.  One on Gwastedyn Hill, overlooking Rhayader.  Had this been yesterday, I would have had trouble getting home methinks.  

The other is in the Forestry at Rhandirmwn (Llyn Brianne reservoir way).  That looks pretty bad too.  


Those poor fire crews - never a moment's peace at the moment.  Praying for heavy rain . . .

16 comments:

  1. I read that youngsters are being encouraged on TikTok to start a fire and watch it burn. What is the world coming to! I hope you can stay breathing clean air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the same. What a stupid stupid idea that is. Farmers' hay and straw being set light to as well. Kids without a brain cell between them. I am inside and have just been singing old favourite songs, so think lungs have recovered.

      Delete
  2. Smoke in town in Landod too. Can't see the hills. An update 2 hours ago said that firefighters had checked and no fire/ fires were found and they believe the smoke is coming up from South Wales. Staying in, windows shut seems to be the best option. Fingers crossed it's gone by Friday as well as some of this heat. Best wishes T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. It must all be coming from Llangynidr. I am reading my book and watching tv.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! That's just devastating....and to think it's arson, as well. Much like the BC wildfires still raging here -- started by arson. I can't wrap my head around it...are these all junior sociopaths or what? Stay safe indoors as much as you're able. ~melanie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior sociopaths or just kids without a brain, who think it's clever to set alight to things and not consider the consequences.

      I feel sorry for the poor farmers who are having the year from hell, what with low yields, no grass, having to feed winter hay now and Blue Tongue outbreaks . . .

      Delete
  4. The kids who started fires on Cannock Chase have been caught. They were 11, probably get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again! I'd knock them from here to next week. Enjoyed my shopping expedition with Iris, she got a few things and found a reduced top and shorts for the Baby. I've just bought the bedding in, it was so dry it practically stood up on its own. Hope your fires don't spread, I feel so sorry for the farmers and the emergency services. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not old enough to have any common sense, that's for sure and I'm with you walloping them from Easter to Christmas! Glad you had a nice shopping trip with Iris, and some bits for the Baby. No putting washing out to dry here needless to say.

      Two new fires have now sprung up, and we all feel worried there may be some even closer to home.

      Delete
  5. We had the wildfires smoke in mid-July. Days spent indoors. It's hard to stay indoors when the weather is so nice. Does an old Covid mask help w breathing issues?

    I can t wait to see the little Rosie dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent a lot of the summer indoors, as Too Hot for me! Will use a good Covid mask tomorrow, as long as I go out when it is still cool.

      Be patient re: Rosie dress. I got distracted today . . .

      Delete
    2. Was just encouraging re: dress. No pressure.

      Delete
    3. I know sweetheart. I've been a bit distracted recently.

      Delete
  6. Do you need to plan to evacuate: Photo/ address ID. Rxs, pets & carriers, full tank of gas. Important papers including passport and insurance paperwork. CASH money. Food for pets Gallons of water. Put a set of clean clothes, dry socks and shoes in your car.Arrange a meetup place, like a shelter or pub etc, in case cell towers burn. Keeping a full tank of gas is crucial.

    You don t think you need to evacuate w a disaster until suddenly you must. I slept on the floor at my ex H's in Manhattan for two weeks after H Sandy. I had only the shorts and t shirt I was wearing--then it snowed..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying it will never come to that. I did look out my oldest photos (from my dad's era), my dissertation (!) and cat carriers yesterday, so I know where they are if I have to grab them. I have half a tank of fuel which would get me far enough away.

    The worst fire has been brought under control now, as has the closest one. The other is 35+ miles away with the prevailing wind blowing smoke away. Still smokey looking towards town though, from the fire East of here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason to maintain a FULL tank of fuel in your car is that in the event of a catastrophic emergency, you may not be able to refill anytime soon thereafter.

      Delete