Monday 11 July 2022

Gutted

 There was I, idly scrolling down my Facebook feed page when the words Thomas Hardy jumped out at me.  The chap who writes Pitt Stops - Travels Through History had been on a stone working course at Devizes. That alone was interesting to read about, especially as they each worked on making an owl - none of them had ever worked in stone before, but as he said, every owl was different, and some so good he imagined that the men who wrought them might be thinking of a swift career change!

Last night's ethereal clouds.

    This owl was based on one made by Thomas Hardy's father, a stone mason, at the church of St Mary's at Turnworth, near Blandford in Dorset.  Hardy, a fledgling architect at the time, designed the carved capitals on the arcade (in the French Gothic style).  An owl is included inside the foliage . . . hence the choice of an owl on this course.

    . . . BECAUSE, and I am gutted I can't get there (110.1 miles each way) this links in with the Thomas Hardy Exhibition currently being held at the Wessex Museums.  It holds the biggest collection of Thomas Hardy objects ever displayed.  These include some of his sketches and manuscripts, the costume worn by Terrance Stamp in Far From the Madding Crowd,  archaeological objects from Max Gate, AND the original manuscript for Tess.  Devizes is the nearest for me though. Oh my. I have a stack of biographies about Hardy, and many of his novels too, and I would SO love to visit this Exhibition.  Right up my street.

This one from the other night reminded me of a dog.

    They even have an original West Country "poppet" which was in the image of the person you wanted to curse, and pins were stuck into it to cause pain. (One was used in Return of the Native) I think I know exactly which poppet this is, as Keith and I saw it when we went to Oxford a few years back, for a Mystery and Magic exhibition at the Ashmolean.  Believe me, that was imbued with extreme malevolence - I couldn't stand near it - even behind glass that gave off such an air of hostility.

    Well, it's on until October.  Perhaps the medication will work a minor miracle and we may be able to get away for a Wessex weekend.  Let's hope.




19 comments:

  1. They always put on good exhibitions at Devizes Museum, could be because they are near Avebury and Stonehenge. You seem to have looked at a lot of the stuff for Thomas Hardy online, so be content....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed by Devizes Museum when I stopped there a few years back. I think they have funding, which is why they can have such good displays. When I volunteered at Carmarthen Museum, they couldn't even change the displays as they had no funding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exhibition is across 4 Museums, Dorchester, Poole, Salisbury and Devizes. I’m just over the hill from Turnworth , still a sleepy hamlet. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I noticed but Devizes is the only one I could get to and back from in one day and it does have the star item of the Tess manuscript. Dorchester Museum I know well from living in the area, so the usual Thomas Hardy exhibits there I know, although of course, there will be extra ones for this summer. I'd love to visit Salisbury Museum again (somewhere else I used to live near, Poole too!!) but can't see me getting round all of them in one visit unless K and I can get a few days away. Oh my goodness, imagine being shut in a room with Hardy's Book of Facts and being able to take notes on all the folklore and superstition that's been lost.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Is it so selfish to want to do something for ME? I am so sick of my four walls at times but, these things will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it really isn'. ❤️

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue. It is so difficult to put everything I would like to do in a box and hammer the lid shut.

      Delete
    3. No. No it is NOT. A hundred times NO! I have delayed so many things because Tim was not ready to do them. You may have remembered that just a few months back, I put my foot down and said, "I'm going to England with or without you." I did, and it is a treasured memory. Your situation is more difficult. Your husband's sick, not stubborn. Still though, put the shoe on the other foot. If the situation was reversed, and you were the one who couldn't go, and Keith had an opportunity to indulge something that was as important to him as this is to you, what would you tell him? Would you want him to go? Would you encourage him to go? Surely, surely, there is someone who loves you both that would not mind checking in with Keith while you are gone.

      Delete
    4. Thank you Debby. You are right, if the boot was on the other foot I would be happy for Keith to get away sometimes. All of our 3 kids have offered to stand in for me, so I have something to look forward to now.

      I am glad you came to England, husband or no - and had an amazing time. I don't doubt he is regretting travelling with you and hope you are planning another visit.

      Delete
    5. I don't know that he regrets it, but I am planning another trip next year. I am so glad your children stepped up. Go! Savor every minute.

      Delete
    6. Thanks Debby. Looking forward to hearing about your plans nearer the time. (Itinerary).

      Delete
  5. No picture of the owl? Is 110 miles impossible for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an Alamy stock photo of it Tom. Don't want to infringe copyright laws by copying and pasting a photo from elsewhere though.

      It's not the distance, though driving home will be tiring, esp. the motorway bit - it's leaving Keith. A. I will feel guilty and B. I'll have to arrange for one of the kids to come here for the day and keep an eye/make him food/feed cats etc. Until the medication works he's bejeebered at the moment.

      Delete
  6. I do not think it is selfish at all to want some time to do your thing. Having said that, I do understand you feel about leaving your husband. I took care of my sister, I loved dearly, for mine months while she was ill, and the few times I stepped away for my needs I still feel guilty about. I sympathize with your situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kids have stepped up to the mark and one of them will come over to keep Keith company, do the chores he can't do etc. I may wait a few weeks though - don't want to go when all the holiday traffic is about - and not going before the hols, because of the heatwave!

      Thank you Celie, for kind words and encouragement. I do find I need a break now and again as it is hard just seeing Keith struggle so with his mobility and speech too when he is tired. Well done for caring for your sister and you shouldn't feel guilty at needing to step away sometimes. You come back refreshed and able to cope better.

      Delete
  7. Sadly, my sister passed away. My brief times to myself did help me cope. I'm glad your kids stepped up. Be sure to enjoy your visit to the museum. I loved Devizes when I was there, back in the 1980s. So long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that. I am an only child, so can only imagine your pain. The visit is a little way into the future I think, but at least I am going to do it!

      Delete
  8. I am so pleased to read you are going and no, not selfish at all, and grown-up kids are wonderful and in my experience improve with age! I am still trying to write my email to you. It has been so hot and I’ve had proper work to finish and we have Ivor the decorator here painting the outside but I will do it.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't push yourself Sarah. In this heat I don't want to do anything much, though I did have a lovely walk along the river yesterday, at MY speed for a change, and saw Kingfishers, Treecreepers and Sand Martins.

      We could do with having the outside woodwork done in a colour to our liking - chocolate brown doesn't do it for us!

      Delete