Wednesday 20 July 2022

Out to the Elan Valley

 We decided we needed some fresh air yesterday so after a something-in-a-roll type meal, we set off to Rhayader and the Elan Valley beyond.  Our plumber had been this week to repair (again) the Foul Drain from the bathroom which was once more springing out of the wall and had broken the plastic bracket used to repair it last time (whatever happened to metal ones?)  He mentioned that the two bottom reservoirs at the Elan valley had been drained for repair work and everything which had been hidden beneath the waters (sites of old buildings) were revealed.  "You could walk from one side to the other" he told me.  Unfortunately, that  might have been the case at the end of June/beginning of July, the reservoirs had water in again although pretty low.



The shores looked like the rings on an oyster shell.






No, someone's not pulled the plug again - this was water coming IN from the top reservoir.




We were amazed at the sheer number of caravans and motorhomes parked up for the show in fields along the Rhayader road.  You can't see them from here but they'd have been there all week - hundreds of them.  Then there was the Young People's Campsite further out of the town towards Newbridge-on-Wye.  I can understand why they would prefer to be separate and have a hooley out there - but still not too far to walk into town for a beer or 12!



This morning as I went out for the wheely bin (Tuesday is bin day here), I noticed a hot air balloon taking off from the showground.  I quickly went back to the house for my camera, by which time it was a good way up, and there were two other hot air balloons to the left of it.  We used to see them regularly in Carms.




I wish I could report that Keith's meds have taken off and he is firing on all cylinders, but 2 weeks in with the add-on medication, not much sign of a breakthrough.  Sometimes he walks better - mainly in the mornings - but by teatime any benefit seems to have worn off and last night his mobility was very poor - he could hardly move once he got out of the car, his balance was so poor. Such a worry.  I know yesterday he didn't drink enough so we will put it down to dehydration.  The trouble is, you don't feel thirsty with PD and he is most reluctant to drink the full amount because then he has to get up more often for bathroom visits.

        He was going to come with me to Hereford today, to look at Mobility scooters and try them out but after last night, decided he would be best staying here as he wouldn't be able to walk the other end.  At least it is MUCH cooler today and they have promised rain.  I would like to visit Hereford cathedral again too, and perhaps a church on the way home, but don't like to be away too long.   

10 comments:

  1. How I wish there was a magic wand. Are K’s drugs taken throughout the day? S takes his first thing, noon and early evening. I believe the effects do work off. If Keith is taking his all in one go maybe that should be looked at? Balance is a problem I can see and so easily leads to a lack of confidence. S. fell oIf his bike the other day. We cycle on some very sandy stretches (the Serpent’s Way) and our tyres have little or no grip. I fall off all the time but this was the first time for S and he was visibly shocked. No problem, I pulled his bike off him, helped him up and dusted him down and all’s well. I know It can seem impossible right now but the more K does the better he will feel, he needs to feel the natural endorphins pumping through his system. Good luck BB, hope I’m not being too proscriptive. Enjoy your trip to Hereford. If you come home with a rollator for Keith that will be a step in the right direction and can easily be lifted in and out of the car. Sending lots of moral support, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. I am feeling so down today. Just trying to persuade him to eat better food that will HELP natural dopomines is a brick wall effort. He takes his medication 3 times a day, and the add-on one first thing. That seems to help a little as he's better in the morning, but last night he was not even able to move an inch - his legs just wouldn't work - and that is so worrying. We see the PD nurse next week. He has a rollator, in fact, uses a little 2nd hand one to get to the bathroom in the night, but for going out, the rollator doesn't work as he grips it so fiercely and clearly thinks he will fall and waits for it to "run away with him", so that doesn't help much at all.

    Sorry your husband fell off his bike - I can imagine it will have really shaken him up and dented his confidence. At least it was on sand and not tarmac. I wish K would try to do more but he is always "too tired" - I need the PD nurse to move in and chase him up all the time!

    I am feeling SO down I am even going to the patchwork shop and I vowed I wouldn't do that until I'd used up some of my stash but in my defence I need to match a fabric - two panels have gone missing in the move. Don't know how - they were already cut and hand-quilted too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such beautiful scenery and places to visit. The shores did look like oyster shells, beautiful. It would have been fun to walk across and to see what was there, and maybe find a small treasure. I do love those small churches, peaceful and serene, and hot air balloons, never saw a real one in my life, what a view they had, although myself don't think I would do it, not now that I am an older gal, seasoned with a good dose of common sense. Your husband was able to get out and see all these beautiful things, breathe fresh air, and spend time with you. I'm sure it was very good for his well being & his soul. Enjoy your pictures very much thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate in that sense Faith. It is lovely here - just have to look out of the window and see how beautiful it is. I think I would have been worried about the surface of the emptied reservoirs not being baked hard as a brick so you got sucked in out in the middle somewhere! Keith did enjoy the drive out - we get rather sick of our four walls!

      There used to be Hot Air Balloon Festivals - Bristol was one place. That would have been lovely to visit as they had the balloons in all different shapes and logos advertising all sorts.

      Delete
  4. So sorry that Keith's medications are still not working well and making a difference but I am sure a trip out did him the world of good. Lovely photos of the Elan valley area and who doesn't like watching hot air balloons? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another week to go before the new meds hould kick in properly - just hope that it does. The PD nurse is very good though so will get it sorted - perhaps another add on.

      Delete
  5. It has bee a while since I visited the Elan Valley and a few years ago saw it like that though still have not see the lower dam near the Follet tower which you showed It's under the bridge you cross. Brum must be sucking it dry if they had emptied the reservoir but saying that I did notice the Wye really low when we go over the bridge to Erwood. Hope you both survived the heat yesterday, we suffered as it got to 41.4c on the patio, little sleep during the night and a son suffering from heat induced migraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wye is indeed low. We used to live just above the River Cothi and that would go from just a slim river (almost a stream) in the central scooped out channel - water erodes rock so well - in the hottest summer to OVER the bridge and 5 feet deep the other side when a bad flood happened.

      We survived the heat and I've just had to shut the door as there is a cool breeze today and just 16 deg. at the moment (12 when I got up). Gardening weather!

      Delete
  6. Such lovely views.... Those pictures of the shores do look like the inside of oyster or clam shells. Today was the first coolish day in a number of days and I am so enjoying it. Even got out and weeded the circular perennial bed. Early in the morning of course.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love going to the Elan valley. It was always a rare treat when we lived in Carms. Glad you have been able to get out and garden in cooler we ather too.

      Delete