Thursday, 20 August 2026

Distractions

 Every morning I look forward to reading various blogs and catching up with what my blogging friends are up to, and to looking at the posts on my Instagram page.  I don't often post on there, but I love to be distracted by various doing-up-an-old-house posts that I follow.  Two new ones today, one in Bavaria -  they appear to know what they are doing when it comes to tile stripping and revamping a roof anyway.  The other a family buying an old Norwegian farm.   Then there are various church and cathedral posts (sioz4026 has British ones and lots of amazing Spanish ones too.)  I follow a few antiques posters as well, in Wales and Cellar Antiques in Yorkshire.  I follow some equestrian posters too - American rescues as well as following our equestrian teams as they perform.  Lots of sewing and quilting posts as well - very inspirational.  Then the not-a-thing-out-of-place lovely old homes which are at least easy on the eye and I love to see how other people furnish and decorate their homes.  Do any of you follow Instagram posts?


It is raining a little here today.  Happy for it to do so all day long tbh, as we need this rain so much.   Tam is now here with Rosie at the weekend so I need to go out for a bottle of wine and a new washing up bowl (this one desperately needs replacing), washing up gloves (one split), mango chutney etc.  I would like some decent fish, but it has shot up in price.  The good large cod fish fingers that Tesco sell have gone up from £4 for 6 to £4.75 . . .  I made the mistake of buying two pieces of cod in crumb from Aldi last week.  Froze one but will chuck it as the one I ate I left most of - it was disgusting and mushy and didn't taste the least bit fishy . . .  It was £2.99 - you get what you pay for.

My bed is stripped and first load in the wash, and bed made up fresh with help from the girls of course.  They appear from nowhere the minute I start to strip it.

I had a nightmare last night - woken at a scream from Pippi.  Of course, I didn't know if I had dreamed it or it had happened and woken me.  But I searched the house and couldn't find her anyway - though I was certain she hadn't gone out after teatime.  Eventually I looked under the upholstered chair in my room (draped with my dressing gown) and she was there . . .  Of course, by then I was wide awake and came downstairs for an hour or so.  Went back up, chilled (4 a.m. is cold) with a hotty botty and put the duvet back over the bed.  Too cold for just a think patchwork quilt and a sheet now.   Cool enough to wear jeans again, so hopefully that will keep some of the bitey things away.  They have had a good season munching me.  

Right, this won't do.  I have a painful stye in my right eye and must bathe it again.  Yesterday it felt like I had been punched in the eye.  The pharmacist said to bathe it for 5 mins twice a day but I have been doing it more often than that.  It burst once, but has reformed overnight.  I asked the cause and he said it was often using old make up applicators.  Guilty as charged.  I have chucked out my mascara too as I have been using that for months - you are meant to chuck them after 3 months . . . this is older.  I ordered a nice new one for "older ladies" from Mr Amazon.  I will bathe my eye again and venture to the shops.

I have two churches to write up, so will do one for tomorrow.  

2 comments:

  1. I have been listening to rain on and off all night and it is still going, which is good of course. I joined Instagram but didn't find it very useful. Mostly for family, and to see what the grandchildren are up to in London. Hope the stye gets better, we learn new things every day, though I don't use makeup anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just been drizzling here. A short steady drizzle for a little while, but certainly NOT coming down hard enough to hear it outside. A shame as we are so parched here and we need a good soaking to deter the arsonists at large.

    I really enjoy the Instagram posts I follow, and am so grateful to Sam for introducing me to Podcasts. How did I live without them?

    Right, eye, and Library . . .

    ReplyDelete